New rack scratching wood floors when moved

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I bought a new StarTech 4POSTRACK25U rack and after loading my equipment in it, I had to move it out of the server closet a few times and realized it was leaving light scratches on the wood flooring when I did so.

I didn’t have this problem with my previous StarTech rack but it didn’t have the 2x 2U servers or the second UPS so the weight was lower.

Any advice? I tried rolling it onto a rug but it’s so heavy I can’t get it off the ground at all.
Thought of maybe trying to put some duck tape or masking tape on the casters? This is a big problem because my network rack is mounted to the wall above this rack and I need to wheel this one out to access it.

Attachments

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Furniture sliders
I don’t think that would work. Those are as thick or thicker than the rug and the rack is too heavy to get anything under it.

I’m going to look for some different casters.

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
At the risk of sounding like a twit you can reduce the weight by emptying the rack for the purpose of putting a rug under it. Alternatively, you can use a lever (length of timber, wrecking bar with packing to avoid scratches etc) to lift the rack enough to slide something under the wheels. If you have to move it regularly, sounds like you should unload the whole rack and replace the wheels with something suitable for the task.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

edge

Apr 22, 2013

pancake_riot

Nov 5, 2021
Get some of those commercial-grade door mats with the rubber backing. Your local home supply store should carry them.

They're very thin and very durable - the rubber lip is about an eight of an inch and the mat itself is a quarter inch at most. Even with a fully loaded rack, you should have no problem pushing the casters onto the mat, and the carpet is so tough and short that it'll have just enough resistance to stay in place but still be easy enough to push on and off.

Get two mats - one to keep in the closet under the rack, and one to push it on to when you need to move the rack out.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The casters are not really designed to take the weight of the rack long-term; they'll develop flat spots over time. Once it's in position, you're supposed to lower the leveling feet onto a secure surface. Though to be honest, I confess I don't do this myself!

Reactions: thunderdolt

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Get some of those commercial-grade door mats with the rubber backing. Your local home supply store should carry them.

They're very thin and very durable - the rubber lip is about an eight of an inch and the mat itself is a quarter inch at most. Even with a fully loaded rack, you should have no problem pushing the casters onto the mat, and the carpet is so tough and short that it'll have just enough resistance to stay in place but still be easy enough to push on and off.

Get two mats - one to keep in the closet under the rack, and one to push it on to when you need to move the rack out.
do you have a link to an example?

The casters are not really designed to take the weight of the rack long-term; they'll develop flat spots over time. Once it's in position, you're supposed to lower the leveling feet onto a secure surface. Though to be honest, I confess I don't do this myself!
I don't understand how you could lower the feet after the casters are on

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
I don't understand how you could lower the feet after the casters are on
use a wrench. loosen the feet and they lower down, once it make contact with the floor you'll have to use the wrench to pick up the weight of the rack. or lift up the rack from some other means and loosen the feet by hand to below the level of the casters

Reactions: thunderdolt