ESXi 7.0 and Broadcom NetXtreme 5761

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imrazor

Dec 31, 2017
This device appears to no longer be supported in ESXi 7.0u2, but was supported as recently as 6.7. Is there any way to enable support for this NIC? I can probably get a new NIC, but would rather not wait a week for it to arrive by slow boat nor do I want to lose one of my PCIe slots.

In the past I do remember having to slipstream a community supported driver for a Realtek GB NIC, and that process was .... painful. Can I simply drag and drop the community driver onto my USB installer?

A tangential but important question is whether it's actually worth it to use 7.0 vs 6.7. I know Kubernetes is the latest hotness, but it's not something I know or care much about at this point. Aside from that, is there any reason to install 7.0?

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
The HCL suggests that pre 7.0 your NIC was using the "tg3" driver which depended on vmklinux API (which was removed in 7.0).
There is a "ntg3" (native tg3) driver, but if it supported your NIC, it would have worked and it would be listed on the HCL (which it is not).

Honestly I would get a new NIC or use something that supports the one you have (like 6.7 or something like Proxmox).

I think the main reason to go with 7.0 is that 6.7 is apparently scheduled to go End of Life in less than a year.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
The HCL suggests that pre 7.0 your NIC was using the "tg3" driver which depended on vmklinux API (which was removed in 7.0).
There is a "ntg3" (native tg3) driver, but if it supported your NIC, it would have worked and it would be listed on the HCL (which it is not).

Honestly I would get a new NIC or use something that supports the one you have (like 6.7 or something like Proxmox).

I think the main reason to go with 7.0 is that 6.7 is apparently scheduled to go End of Life in less than a year.
Given some of the QA issues with 7.0, I've been reluctant to 'upgrade', but we may not have a choice soon :(

imrazor

Dec 31, 2017
Digging around in my scrap heap I did find an Intel server NIC (p/n EXPI9400PT, chipset 82572GI) that I hoped would work, but I’m having trouble finding it on the VMWare HCL. Am I out of luck with that one too?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Intel 82572GI aka Intel PRO/1000 PT PCI Express Server Adapter

ESXi 7.0 isn't listed.

Last year I bought four oce14102 10gig nics for $25 each. They seem to be still in the lower $30s on the fleabay now.
It's on VMWare HCL for 7.0

Reactions: imrazor

imrazor

Dec 31, 2017
Funny thing is it’ll be connecting to a Powerline ‘backbone’ that runs at 120-160Mbps LOL.