ULTRASTAR DC SN630

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
OWC has these as follow:

960Gb - $98
1920Gb - $188
3840Gb - $328
7680Gb - $948

These are rated at .8 DWPD: https://documents.westerndigital.co...nvme-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-sn630.pdf

Last edited:

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I mean they're not as durable as the HUSMLs so I'm looking to understand what their use case is. VM OS drives?
According to the datasheet they are for read intensive applications, maybe for a lot of VMs storage. .8dwpd is still fairly good over a 5 year period. Agreed, it's no 2dwpd or 3dwpd like the other models or sn200, but much less cost. $330 for 4tb is the best price I've seen personally.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
8TB models almost sold out. Funny to see the 'mac tax' on these for the macs, haha.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I got a HGST 0TS1617 DC sn630 960gb from an ebay vendor. I used it with a U.2 to PCIe adapter. No issue on Ubuntu booting. But I still haven't figured out how to boot a Win 10 pro as primary boot drive after I failed on this.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
Tempting but at least for me having to buy PCIe u.2 adapters really cuts into the value of drives like these. Especially since a crappy PCB shipped from China with zero components except for a u.2 connector is around $35 still, because of Chia maybe. Anyone got a source for lower-priced adapter cards?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Tempting but at least for me having to buy PCIe u.2 adapters really cuts into the value of drives like these. Especially since a crappy PCB shipped from China with zero components except for a u.2 connector is around $35 still, because of Chia maybe. Anyone got a source for lower-priced adapter cards?
They're literally running a sale for their u.2 adapter right under the same product lol. $24.

Can someone help me with the use case for these drives? I want to click buy but I'm not sure what I need them for.

Specs sheet says they're TLC. They're really only usable for read caches? L2ARC for ZFS? Scratch drive for SLOG? If you exceed rated DWPD can WD deny your warranty claim?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
They're literally running a sale for their u.2 adapter right under the same product lol. $24.

Can someone help me with the use case for these drives? I want to click buy but I'm not sure what I need them for.

Specs sheet says they're TLC. They're really only usable for read caches? L2ARC for ZFS? Scratch drive for SLOG? If you exceed rated DWPD can WD deny your warranty claim?
So they are.. $24 is still steep-ish for what those are. Better than $35 though.

From the datasheet for these:

The lesser of 5 years from the date of
manufacture of the product or the date on
which the product’s relevant endurance
thresholds set forth in the product
specifications are reached.
So yeah, they'll deny your warranty if you exceed the endurance limit of the drive.

Reactions: josh and Samir

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I noticed that a seller on eBay is selling these drives for about USD 300 /each with a PCIe slot adapter for 2 drives:

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Of course OWC still appears to be selling these drives for USD 349: Western Digital 0TS1619 / WUS3BA138C7P3E3 4.0TB... at MacSales.com

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Pretty solid since this sure beats sata ssds and with the adapter allows you to add a second drive. You can also buy just the drives direct from the seller at their own site for $285 with an additional year warranty (3yr total):

But I don't understand that if all these drives are 'new', why do they have different lengths of warranty--2, 3 and 5yrs (OWC)?

Reactions: Sacrilego

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I think the 2, 3 and 5 years of warranty are based on the calculating of the balance of the risk and the backing whole drives and/or parts.

I knew Dell's business-grade desktop computers and laptops whose 3-year warranty(called and 2nd-day on-site) costs usually around $100. That means it is possible that Dell estimates their business-grade computers can be lasted more than 3 years for 8x5 per week when they are designed or through part selection for this estimation.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I think the 2, 3 and 5 years of warranty are based on the calculating of the balance of the risk and the backing whole drives and/or parts.
This would make sense if it's a 'retailer warranty', but if it's new and with a manufacturer warranty, why should there be a difference? Something doesn't add up...

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
This would make sense if it's a 'retailer warranty', but if it's new and with a manufacturer warranty, why should there be a difference? Something doesn't add up...
If the photos are accurate, both are the same model number, but they have different part numbers. So, maybe they are in different market segments that have differing warranties?

Or, maybe something less savory, like one of them is OEM... and while yes, there's an n year warranty, you can only use it if you're the system integrator who was the original purchaser :eek:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If the photos are accurate, both are the same model number, but they have different part numbers. So, maybe they are in different market segments that have differing warranties?
Makes sense if they have different part numbers--could have been actually sold that way with different part numbers coming with different warranties.

Reactions: Markess

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Anyone here gotten these to work with a Supermicro SAS3 N4 nvme backplane? Mine won't show up. My Optane 900p or HGST SN200 drives show up fine. The only difference would be the SN630 is PCI 3.1 and NVME 1.3 (vs PCI 3.0 and NVME 1.2 on the others), but I thought those would be backwards compatible.

Edit: Cleaned out my slots and it showed up again. I blame dust. Ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamkass and Samir