Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
V9 is released for everything 7 series except the 7750, I would assume because it's the only PPC architecture switch remaining and is about to be eol if it isn't already. I'm sure they were tired of having to maintain both an arm build chain for everything and then a totally separate PPC chain just for the 7750

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I have 1x 6650, 2x 6610, and 2x 6450. Can these all be stacked together to operate a basically one single entity? The op’s post from page 1 says the 6650 can’t be stacked but I read that all units within the same family can be so I’m a little confused.

also how do I know when units are properly stacked? Initially I had just the two ICX 6610 and I connected the top 40Gb stacking port of oneto the bottom of the other and everything just “worked” but how do I know for sure these are “stacked” vs just two switches connected to each other? Both can still be ssh’d to independently by the different ip’s I set them up with initially and the documention said something like there wasn’t any special commands to run for stacking them.

Anyway just looking for some clarity on this and any other advice if it’s possible to stack all 5 and if not any do’s/don’ts when connecting them all together.

thanks in advance!

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I have 1x 6650, 2x 6610, and 2x 6450. Can these all be stacked together to operate a basically one single entity? The op’s post from page 1 says the 6650 can’t be stacked but I read that all units within the same family can be so I’m a little confused.

also how do I know when units are properly stacked? Initially I had just the two ICX 6610 and I connected the top 40Gb stacking port of oneto the bottom of the other and everything just “worked” but how do I know for sure these are “stacked” vs just two switches connected to each other? Both can still be ssh’d to independently by the different ip’s I set them up with initially and the documention said something like there wasn’t any special commands to run for stacking them.

Anyway just looking for some clarity on this and any other advice if it’s possible to stack all 5 and if not any do’s/don’ts when connecting them all together.

thanks in advance!
By same family we mean the sub-models of a given type. So any 6450 can stack with any other 6450, but not a 6610. So you can stack your 6450s together and your 6610s as a separate stack. The 6650 will be forever alone.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
Does anyone have a link to the correct console cable to use for the 6610 and 6650 series?

There was a link earlier in this thread to ebay but its no longer working.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
V9 is released for everything 7 series except the 7750, I would assume because it's the only PPC architecture switch remaining and is about to be eol if it isn't already. I'm sure they were tired of having to maintain both an arm build chain for everything and then a totally separate PPC chain just for the 7750
Well that puts a damper on my desire to hunt down a 7750, assuming I still have my 7150s and 7450 when v9 becomes recommended GA. I was thinking of a 7750-26Q (or a -48F since is has 6x QSFP, but the additional 6x QSFP module tends to be like $500), so would a Arista DCS-7050QX-32S be a better choice? I can certainly find them for a lower price than the handful of 7750-26Q's I see on eBay. I'm going to need at least 6, maybe 8x 40G and 40G to 4x10G breakout support since I'll have more 10G devices than my 7450 will. The 7650 and 7850, when they've been available, have been waaaay out of my price range.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Well that puts a damper on my desire to hunt down a 7750, assuming I still have my 7150s and 7450 when v9 becomes recommended GA. I was thinking of a 7750-26Q (or a -48F since is has 6x QSFP, but the additional 6x QSFP module tends to be like $500), so would a Arista DCS-7050QX-32S be a better choice? I can certainly find them for a lower price than the handful of 7750-26Q's I see on eBay. I'm going to need at least 6, maybe 8x 40G and 40G to 4x10G breakout support since I'll have more 10G devices than my 7450 will. The 7650 and 7850, when they've been available, have been waaaay out of my price range.
7050QX-32S are great switches - full x86_64 management plane, the 32S variant (versus the plain 32) can run the absolute latest EOS, and EOS is great to work with. prefer it to fastiron. two or three times as much RAM, can stick SSDs in them, can run container and KVM vm's on them, etc

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
so . . . i have a 6450-48P.
And, i have just received my 10G RJ-45 SFP module (ubiquiti UF-RJ45-10G).
But it seems my cable isn't stable enough to support it, as the link goes up and down. (don't have the ability right now to replace cable due to having to open up the driveway)
At 1Gb it is stable. So wanted to try at 2.5 and 5Gb, but i do not seem to have that option.
Is that option even available?

Last edited:

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
7050QX-32S are great switches - full x86_64 management plane, the 32S variant (versus the plain 32) can run the absolute latest EOS, and EOS is great to work with. prefer it to fastiron. two or three times as much RAM, can stick SSDs in them, can run container and KVM vm's on them, etc
What variant of Arista would you recommend over the 7750-48F, that is current and can run latest EOS?

ZFSZealot

Aug 16, 2021
so . . . i have a 6450-48P.
And, i have just received my 10G RJ-45 SFP module (ubiquiti UF-RJ45-10G).
But it seems my cable isn't stable enough to support it, as the link goes up and down. (don't have the ability right now to replace cable due to having to open up the driveway)
At 1Gb it is stable. So wanted to try at 2.5 and 5Gb, but i do not seem to have that option.
Is that option even available?
If you look back a few pages in this thread someone was talking about successfully using a 2.5G SFP+ transceiver in what I think was a 6610. It's about the transceiver.

Caennanu

May 18, 2021
If you look back a few pages in this thread someone was talking about successfully using a 2.5G SFP+ transceiver in what I think was a 6610. It's about the transceiver.
Right, found it and gotcha.
No support for autosensing, gotta 'hardwire' lower speeds.
oh well :D

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
What variant of Arista would you recommend over the 7750-48F, that is current and can run latest EOS?
Maybe the 7050SX? The 7050QX-32S supports breakout; based on prices on eBay it would be cheaper, even accounting for needing passive optical breakouts and a patch panel.

Here's an EoS/EoL sheet which lists replacement models: End-of-Sale-Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf (arista.com)
That appears somewhat out of date, so here's Arista's EoS notices: Advisories & Notices - Arista

Last edited:
Reactions: leon_pro and tjk

Kevlar

Oct 25, 2021
Official noob man here. I am having trouble with the transfer timing out when I attempt to install the new bootloader on my 6610 from the tftp server. I went through the whole thread and found one other dude who had the same issue but it was because his firewall was enabled. I already tried doing it with my firewall disabled (as that fixed it for him) and, son of a biscuit, it still didn't work. I have tried multiple ethernet cables for the connection from the management port to the network and from my laptop to the network but to no avail. I'll try another cable each tomorrow and see but I'm doubting that is the fix at this point.

I saw someone else who had a kind of similar issue and it was because they had some sort of janky digit-ery where their mac address should have been, so I checked mine and it seemed (to my untrained eye) to be formatted correctly for a mac address. I'm really hoping this is just some stupid thing I've overlooked but I just can't figure out what that might be at this point.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Official noob man here. I am having trouble with the transfer timing out when I attempt to install the new bootloader on my 6610 from the tftp server. I went through the whole thread and found one other dude who had the same issue but it was because his firewall was enabled. I already tried doing it with my firewall disabled (as that fixed it for him) and, son of a biscuit, it still didn't work. I have tried multiple ethernet cables for the connection from the management port to the network and from my laptop to the network but to no avail. I'll try another cable each tomorrow and see but I'm doubting that is the fix at this point.

I saw someone else who had a kind of similar issue and it was because they had some sort of janky digit-ery where their mac address should have been, so I checked mine and it seemed (to my untrained eye) to be formatted correctly for a mac address. I'm really hoping this is just some stupid thing I've overlooked but I just can't figure out what that might be at this point.
What TFTP server are you using? Do you have a second computer where you can setup a TFTP client and test that server? If you do a netstat to show UDP ports, is port 69 bound to a physical interface or loopback? On Windows this would be "netstat -an -p udp | findstr 69" for most Linux "netstat -aun | grep 69" should work.

Reactions: Kevlar

ossicones

Apr 16, 2021
I have four 6610 switches - I am installing two in one rack and two in another rack that is roughly 8-10m away. The question is, should I stack them, or trunk them together?
In the stacking guide, for the 6610 specifically, it states the max length DAC cable is 5m, with no specification for an optical option. I'm guessing this means I cannot stack them using fiber, meaning I would have to trunk them together. Can anyone speak to stacking over distances?

If I trunk, can I use fiber out the QSFP+ ports to get two 40GB links between switches?

berezovskyi

Apr 14, 2021
Hello folks. I have ICX6450-48P (firmware ICX64R08030u) and it seems that periodically crashes. I can't find any pattern for this. Previously it crashed sometimes and I added a big noctua fan to cool it down (`show chassis` showed pretty low temp) and crashes went away for more than a month.
Yesterday it came back. Today I had a chance to get the console cable plugged in and I saw a message that the crash was triggered by the hardware watchdog.
The device configuration wasn't changed for a long time ago. No new devices were connected to the network.

P.S. I found a command `#dd watchdog disable`. Will try it while the console cable is still connected.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I have four 6610 switches - I am installing two in one rack and two in another rack that is roughly 8-10m away. The question is, should I stack them, or trunk them together?
In the stacking guide, for the 6610 specifically, it states the max length DAC cable is 5m, with no specification for an optical option. I'm guessing this means I cannot stack them using fiber, meaning I would have to trunk them together. Can anyone speak to stacking over distances?

If I trunk, can I use fiber out the QSFP+ ports to get two 40GB links between switches?
From the ICX6610 manual
ICX 6610 devices have two 40-Gbps QSFP stacking ports and two 4 x 10-Gbps QSFP stacking ports
on the rear panel. These ports can perform data transmission directly through copper links of up to 5
meters. ICX 6610 devices also support 40G-QSFP-SR4 at distances up to 100 meters
Also from the manual
Use 1 meter passive copper QSFP stacking cables or SFP+ fiber-optic cables to connect ICX 6610
devices in a traditional stack. 40G-QSFP-SR4 is also supported.
I'm thinking that when the 6610 came out, DACs might not have exceeded 5 meters. I don't know what spec covers DACs or if it initially had a limit of 5m that was then extended to 10m. So the -SR4 optic is called out, but with no length limit. If you have DACs or optics and 10m cabling, it's worth testing.

lilkeeney

Jul 22, 2012
I am trying to use my 6450-48P as a POE injector. I have a cellular modem in the attic that is POE powered plugged into one port of my switch and then I have another port plugged into the WAN2 port of my router. These two ports are on a seperate VLAN that nothing else is on. This works fine most of the time. However, if one gets disconnected it doens't always reconnected without a reboot. I have a feeling that some settings may be interfering with this. Could Flow Control or STP be an issue here? Any thoughts on how to dumb down the switch and act just like a POE injector? And yes, I could just use a POE injector, but this helps with the wiring and allows me to reboot the cellular modem if needed remotely.

Here are the settings and diagnostics for the cellular modem.

1635355108130.png
1635355045332.png

And here are the configurations and stats for the WAN2 port on my router.
1635355161551.png

1635355191978.png