Optimal OS for game dedicated server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bogdan_Floares

Oct 8, 2021
What OS(excluding linux, ubuntu and other unix like OS and excluding windows server OS) should I use for operating a dedicated server for running the server files for my game?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Pretty much any decent server oriented 'nix platform would be the way to go, Debian would be my go to base OS for something like this, but as you are excluding that... :)

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
What a strange question when basically all the major games with online components run on Linux backends or if they are PC games with small bolted on dedicated servers they run Windows or Linux or both.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
What OS, other than anything unix or windows based? Uhhhh....not sure what's even left, AmigaOS? Wy are you excluding 99% of operating systems?

I've ran a lot of game servers over the years and have always found debian the easiest when it comes to weird libraries and dependencies for older games as well as being lightweight

Reactions: libredata