WiFi 6 router with SMBv1 support and High Availability

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
@Wasmachineman_NL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are constrained by the location of your ISPs modem (cable, DSL, etc.) and don't have any Ethernet runs to another location, thus the need to co-locate your kit in one location?

Have you considered a pair of Ethernet over Power adapters to allow you to re-locate your router/firewall and other kit to a more suitable location?

Reactions: Amrhn and nickf1227

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
@Wasmachineman_NL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are constrained by the location of your ISPs modem (cable, DSL, etc.) and don't have any Ethernet runs to another location, thus the need to co-locate your kit in one location?

Have you considered a pair of Ethernet over Power adapters to allow you to re-locate your router/firewall and other kit to a more suitable location?

The fiber junction box is up high in the meter cupboard and can't easily be moved. So does the modem because again, the fiber junction box is needed.

And I don't exactly feel like moving everything from there where it has been ever since we got internet in the early 2000s.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I'm sure you can use a power strip...we're not talking about substantial amperage here...
German Power Strip 6-Outlet European Surge Protector with Child Protector, Earthing Protection Custom Long Power Cords - Cablesgo
It's rated for almost 4000 watts... you are not anywhere near that...
I find it ironic that you are saying you don't have enough power to do what you need to do and yet you are in a closet where all of the power for your house originates....
I unplugged the Magcharger for now and will move it some place else soon(TM) so I have a spare socket for the OptiPlex now, working on getting SMB1 working under Win10.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
The fiber junction box is up high in the meter cupboard and can't easily be moved. So does the modem because again, the fiber junction box is needed.

And I don't exactly feel like moving everything from there where it has been ever since we got internet in the early 2000s.
I don't think you need to relocate the fiber junction box or modem. You simply connect one of the Ethernet over Power adapters to the Ethernet port on the modem, then plug the other adapter in another location and connect the Ethernet port to your WAN port on the firewall/router

Reactions: Amrhn

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I don't think you need to relocate the fiber junction box or modem. You simply connect one of the Ethernet over Power adapters to the Ethernet port on the modem, then plug the other adapter in another location and connect the Ethernet port to your WAN port on the firewall/router
That's another point of failure which i'm not willing to use.

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
That's another point of failure which i'm not willing to use.
Was just trying to offer suggestions to keep you from having to hire a plasterer.

I have 3 Ethernet over Power adapters in my home and haven't had any issues.
It co-exists with Insteon over power without any issues either.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Having an AP in a sealed cupboard is a point of failure, just saying.

5ghz doesn't have much penetration value... It bounces, needs an opening.
Never had any issues with WLAN (and I am using another R7000 in the attic as a AP), only the past month or so the R7000 in the fuse box keeps crashing for some bizarre reason.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I also moved my storage from the R7000 to the OptiPlex, holy SHIT transfers were never this fast, almost 60 mb/s while transfering PCMark 7 to my PC upstairs over GBit cable.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
But it's got a Intel C2000 CPU so it's got the timer bug.
That emerged much later than my purchase date, hence the identically provisioned HP T730 as a backup. Keeping fingers crossed. Maybe I should figure out how to make HA work on pfSense!

I'd also swap pfSense for opnSense - which is a fork from pfSense, but better.
There seem to be fans of both and I'm curious why you like opnSense better. I'm still running the older pfSense 2.4.5 out of inertia!

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
There seem to be fans of both and I'm curious why you like opnSense better. I'm still running the older pfSense 2.4.5 out of inertia!
Because stuff like this:
and the more in-depth follow up:

Reactions: fohdeesha

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Grab the popcorn, I bought a ASUS RT-AX58U after my R7000 went down for the 9000th time this week.

Also going to throw my network around as I nagged my ISP for a new modem with 4 Gbit ports, something I should have done much earlier:
  • Anything with 11ac or 11ax is going on the AX58U
  • The Precisions, Toughbook, my stone age N900 and my Windows XP era desktops are going on the modem WLAN as they're all either 11n or 11g

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Received a new modem with four GBit ports and also my AX58U, holy ****ing SHIT the USB performance on it is phenomal, getting ~85mb/s transfer speeds to my desktop! I can copy PCMark8 (which is a 3.2GB .zip) in under 30 seconds!

The Fritz!box/modem is also rather fast, even on WLAN my P50 got 450/400 mbits up/down according to Speedtest. Not that it matters because everything older than 11ac is connected to it now.

atb

Sep 7, 2021
As for the 98 systems: it's mostly for installing and then selling them, using SMB shares is very useful for that purpose as 98 has no USB support from the factory.
I'm shocked this bit slipped by everyone without a followup question. Who is buying them? the only practical use for a Windows 98 desktop might be very, very specific control software for industrial systems controls which somehow both does not work on a newer Windows version and was never updated.

If that's the case, these Windows boxes shouldn't be set up on anything connected to the internet, it should be done in some airgap, sterilized lab not unlike the two where they keep the last known samples of smallpox at

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I'm shocked this bit slipped by everyone without a followup question. Who is buying them? the only practical use for a Windows 98 desktop might be very, very specific control software for industrial systems controls which somehow both does not work on a newer Windows version and was never updated.

If that's the case, these Windows boxes shouldn't be set up on anything connected to the internet, it should be done in some airgap, sterilized lab not unlike the two where they keep the last known samples of smallpox at
Hobbyists who want a Win98 computer for old games or old software. There will always be a market for them and that's where I come in.

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
Because stuff like this:
and the more in-depth follow up:
I was aware of the Wireguard issue but it didn't bother me because I don't use VPNs.

The FreeBSD 13 stuff is concerning and I will look into this more.

Thanks