Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
How to confirm PoE firmware on 8095d

Brocade 7250-48p. Ran firmware update of 8095d and had minor human glitch.

show version gives
Primary SPR08095d.bin (UFI)
SW: Version 08.0.95dT213

show inline power detail gives
Firmware
Version
----------------
02.1.8 Build 004

is this correct? (screen shot of "show inline power detail" is attached

Phrased a different way, how to determine switch has the "correct" PoE firmware

Attachments

OKGolombRuler

Mar 13, 2020
you have to ensure that 1/3/3 on the 7150-24 and 1/3/1 on the C12P are defined as stacking ports in their respective configs, and *not* part of a stack trunk. can you post the output of show run, the top bit with all the stuff under "stack unit 1"? on top of that make sure the ports are manually set to 1gbps:

enable
conf t
int e 1/3/3
speed-duplex 1000-full

##C12P:
enable
conf t
int e 1/3/1
speed-duplex 1000-full

you should see a valid link up before even running any stacking commands, ensure that's happening by looking at "show int e 1/3/3" for example
Finally, the weekend, so I'm free to break the internet. :)

On the C12:
Current configuration:
!
ver 08.0.95dT213
!
stack unit 1
module 1 icx7150-c12-poe-port-management-module
module 2 icx7150-2-copper-port-2g-module
module 3 icx7150-2-sfp-plus-port-20g-module
!
!

On the 24:

!
ver 08.0.95dT213
!
stack unit 1
module 1 icx7150-24-port-management-module
module 3 icx7150-4-sfp-plus-port-40g-module
priority 250
stack-port 1/3/1
stack-port 1/3/3
stack unit 2
unit-name cadbury
module 1 icx7150-c12-poe-port-management-module
module 3 icx7150-2-sfp-plus-port-20g-module
stack-port 2/3/1

Tried setting the port speed on the C12. When I do, I see:

"Error! 1/3/2 speed is 1G. A stack-port needs at least 10G speed."

So I guess that answers that. I don't suppose we can lie to it/ force override? It makes sense, but it IS annoying for those of us limping it along at home. :)

I may pick up the 10G copper SFPs and try moving the C12 over to the solitary CAT5 run, on the argument that a) it may be good enough to make a 10G link and b) if not, it's actually feasible for me to pull ethernet to that one place. Relegate the C08 to MOCA duty since I can't stack it anyway...

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
Ruckus Unleashed AP Web GUI - failure to access Brocade 7250 and 7150

One is supposed to be able to login to Ruckus Unleashed AP WebGui and see Brocade Switches on the LAN, aka, "Single Pane of Glass"

Brocade 7150 and 7250 are on firmware 8095d
Ruckus r510 is on 200.10.10.5.246

Question: must i do "something" on the Brocade switch to allow the Ruckus Unleashed to access them?

Note: flat network, all on 192.168.1.0/24 with no VLANS

OKGolombRuler

Mar 13, 2020
Ruckus Unleashed AP Web GUI - failure to access Brocade 7250 and 7150

One is supposed to be able to login to Ruckus Unleashed AP WebGui and see Brocade Switches on the LAN, aka, "Single Pane of Glass"

Brocade 7150 and 7250 are on firmware 8095d
Ruckus r510 is on 200.10.10.5.246

Question: must i do "something" on the Brocade switch to allow the Ruckus Unleashed to access them?

Note: flat network, all on 192.168.1.0/24 with no VLANS
The docs (and the Ruckus Unleashed UI) suggest you should be able to go into the UI > Switches, plug in your admin-privileged user, and it connects. What I see when I do so, FWIW, is:
ICX Switch is Connecting
MAC Address:
(a mac)
IP Address:
(switch IP)
Name:
(switch name)
and it spins. I see failed logins on the switch. I think it's trying to use the default creds (super/sp-admin). Un/fortunately I haven't found a way to re-add those default creds to the switch after you've done the initial config... so adopting configured switches (ETA: without resetting them) is either counterintuitive or impossible. :/ But if you figure it out before I get frustrated enough to wipe-and-serial-console the config back up... please share!

Reactions: tommybackeast

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
The docs (and the Ruckus Unleashed UI) suggest you should be able to go into the UI > Switches, plug in your admin-privileged user, and it connects. What I see when I do so, FWIW, is:
ICX Switch is Connecting
MAC Address:
(a mac)
IP Address:
(switch IP)
Name:
(switch name)
and it spins. I see failed logins on the switch. I think it's trying to use the default creds (super/sp-admin). Un/fortunately I haven't found a way to re-add those default creds to the switch after you've done the initial config... so adopting configured switches (ETA: without resetting them) is either counterintuitive or impossible. :/ But if you figure it out before I get frustrated enough to wipe-and-serial-console the config back up... please share!
Glad to not be alone :( Mine does the exact same thing as you described. It works just fine for Terry Henry on youtube :) but he's not us, lol

I continue to wonder if 'something' must be setup on the switch to allow Ruckus Unleashed to connect to them, perhaps white-listing the Ruckus Unleashed IP address.

PS: my Ruckus and two Brocades use login creds of root and my.own.password with no defaults used.

Reactions: OKGolombRuler

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Glad to not be alone :( Mine does the exact same thing as you described. It works just fine for Terry Henry on youtube :) but he's not us, lol

I continue to wonder if 'something' must be setup on the switch to allow Ruckus Unleashed to connect to them, perhaps white-listing the Ruckus Unleashed IP address.

PS: my Ruckus and two Brocades use login creds of root and my.own.password with no defaults used.
Same here on 8095 and 9000 firmware on icx7150 48zp. I’ve given up. Doesn’t seem worth any more effort at this time for me.
Others are having this issue, seems worse if using router firmware instead of switch. Seems like you need to let the configured unleashed AP connect to the ICX from ground zero with a stock default icx startup/running config.

Last edited:

happydaisy

Oct 15, 2021
Unleashed is working for me on 9000a. Wasn't working on 9000.
Needed to add the community string for SNMP v1. It can be found in the unleashed config by typing show config from an ssh terminal on the unleashed ap.

I had also previously had unleashed integration on firmware 8090. 7250-24p.

Now i just need to figure out if aftermarket fans are safe for this thing. Been reading mixed reports in this thread

Last edited:

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Unleashed is working for me on 9000a. Wasn't working on 9000.
Needed to add the community string for SNMP v1. It can be found in the unleashed config by typing show config from an ssh terminal on the unleashed ap.

I had also previously had unleashed integration on firmware 8090.
Ok, good to know. I guess the ruckus employee I quoted stating 9000 would not receive updates was wrong. Thanks, I was waiting for 9010.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
so, from what I remember digging through the scripts in the ruckus unleashed AP firmware, the ICX "integration" is just a bunch of "expect" bash scripts. I specifically recall they expect to be able to ssh to the switch IP with the credentials you provide, and then blindly "enable" and "conf t" from there. so if you have an "enable" authentication line in your switch config that makes users log in again when they issue "enable", it'll barf. check your icx config and make sure you don't have a:
Code:
aaa authentication enable default local
the v9000 thing is another issue, the initial GA release of 9000 didn't have support if I remember right, 9000a should though. And if your switch is succesfully added in the unleashed UI, it will automatically create the snmp entries and other required things in your switch config so those "shouldn't" need to be done manually. here's the master script from Unleashed 200.9, ICX stuff starts around line 5240

Attachments

Last edited:

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
Hey peoples, thanks for allowing me to join.

I'm a long-time networking person but might have made a mistake. I'm deploying 10GBe optical around my house for 6 servers. I bought a mikrotik 5 port forgetting I had 6 machines, duh. So I found an ICX6610-48p on ebay for a decent 'make an offer' price and then found that I had to license the 10Gb ports. What the heck? Talk about a ripoff. I took a scan of some of the text in this thread, will read more, but before I dig in too deeply, can I get around the licensing somehow?

I saw the note on the QSFP stacking ports, my engineer already told me that would probably work. Another question was one of the stacking ports was a 4x10 and I was wondering if a splitter cable would work on it? I thought we used splitters on the switches that are TOR on Exadata servers (I work for Oracle). This is a new area for me.

So is there an easy or not very expensive way to recover the 10Gb ports on the switch? My plan was to get rid of the 2 x 16 port GigE switches I am using and collect all that plus my small subnet of 6 x 10Gb servers into one switch.

Thanks again. great board.

Jerry

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hey peoples, thanks for allowing me to join.

I'm a long-time networking person but might have made a mistake. I'm deploying 10GBe optical around my house for 6 servers. I bought a mikrotik 5 port forgetting I had 6 machines, duh. So I found an ICX6610-48p on ebay for a decent 'make an offer' price and then found that I had to license the 10Gb ports. What the heck? Talk about a ripoff. I took a scan of some of the text in this thread, will read more, but before I dig in too deeply, can I get around the licensing somehow?

I saw the note on the QSFP stacking ports, my engineer already told me that would probably work. Another question was one of the stacking ports was a 4x10 and I was wondering if a splitter cable would work on it? I thought we used splitters on the switches that are TOR on Exadata servers (I work for Oracle). This is a new area for me.

So is there an easy or not very expensive way to recover the 10Gb ports on the switch? My plan was to get rid of the 2 x 16 port GigE switches I am using and collect all that plus my small subnet of 6 x 10Gb servers into one switch.

Thanks again. great board.

Jerry
second sentence of the entire thread, first post

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Any way to check the health of the management port on 7250 (or what I am doing wrong)

I am going from 6450 that is working fine to newly purchased from bay 7250 and following @fohdeesha instructions , I am getting nothing in Putty returned back to me on boot (fan spin up) or after boot.

Same workstation and Putty, connected to 6450 management port over same exact cable is getting me the prompt I would expect.
Anything I am missing? the Putty screen is just black, no data returned

Thank you

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Any way to check the health of the management port on 7250 (or what I am doing wrong)

I am going from 6450 that is working fine to newly purchased from bay 7250 and following @fohdeesha instructions , I am getting nothing in Putty returned back to me on boot (fan spin up) or after boot.

Same workstation and Putty, connected to 6450 management port over same exact cable is getting me the prompt I would expect.
Anything I am missing? the Putty screen is just black, no data returned

Thank you
If you are using the exact same RJ45 serial cable you used on the 6450 on a port on the 7250 you will NOT get any serial output.

6450 has an RJ45 serial console connection.
7250 has a micro USB connection that is wired as a serial port. DO NOT plug in a standard "A to micro USB cable" betweeen the 7250 and a laptop or dekstop. If you do magic smoke may escape the 7250 and perhaps your computing device.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
If you are using the exact same RJ45 serial cable you used on the 6450 on a port on the 7250 you will NOT get any serial output.

6450 has an RJ45 serial console connection.
7250 has a micro USB connection that is wired as a serial port. DO NOT plug in a standard "A to micro USB cable" betweeen the 7250 and a laptop or dekstop. If you do magic smoke may escape the 7250 and perhaps your computing device.
Got it , really good to know. Any recommendation on the cable(s) I need to get into console of 7250?
Any other way to get into the switch while I am waiting for the cable? it was 'reset' according to ebay seller

and for the record, I am trying to use the guide @fohdeesha provided below, connecting USB on my laptop through blue cable to management Ethernet port above the full size USB port. Should I be using something else instead? thank you

" Connect to the serial/console port using a program like Putty (9600 8N1), then connect the management ethernet port to your network (do NOT use any of the regular switch ports yet). The management port is the one above the full size USB port. "

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Got it , really good to know. Any recommendation on the cable(s) I need to get into console of 7250?
here's a start.

US eBay search

I know its a long thread but you can find interesting results using STH search

In particular if you have in your spare parts bin a USB A Female cable that you can sacrifice and a keystone jack plus a 110 punch tool (or are careful with a makeshift 110 tool e.g. screwdriver) then you can fashion your own as documented.

there are some other posts in this mega thread from folks that have crafted cables as well.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
and for the record, I am trying to use the guide @fohdeesha provided below, connecting USB on my laptop through blue cable to management Ethernet port above the full size USB port. Should I be using something else instead? thank you

" Connect to the serial/console port using a program like Putty (9600 8N1), then connect the management ethernet port to your network (do NOT use any of the regular switch ports yet). The management port is the one above the full size USB port. "
Right - the management ethernet port is ethernet and not serial and as the guide says "connect the management ethernet port to your network"

this part "Connect to the serial/console port using a program like Putty (9600 8N1)" is generic and the same text is used throughout the different guides because the Brocade switches have transitioned through more than a few different types of serial console connections. For example the 7150 has usb-c and a built-in serial to usb adapter. which is nice.

Look at the front of your switch. Go up from from the management ethernet port. See the Micro USB connection (?) and if its not worn off you should see a graphic "101010" (or something very similar looking) that's the Brocade icon for serial port and at least the icon does seem to be common across the ICX switches.

EngChiSTH

Jun 27, 2018
Chicago
Right - the management ethernet port is ethernet and not serial and as the guide says "connect the management ethernet port to your network"

this part "Connect to the serial/console port using a program like Putty (9600 8N1)" is generic and the same text is used throughout the different guides because the Brocade switches have transitioned through more than a few different types of serial console connections. For example the 7150 has usb-c and a built-in serial to usb adapter. which is nice.

Look at the front of your switch. Go up from from the management ethernet port. See the Micro USB connection (?) and if its not worn off you should see a graphic "101010" (or something very similar looking) that's the Brocade icon for serial port and at least the icon does seem to be common across the ICX switches.

Thank you. I guess I can not set it up today since I don't have the specific cable 7250 wants. I will have to do some research to understand what options there are besides

a) DB9 to USB mini from ebay
b) Rolling my own (which I do not have a solder lamp for anymore)

also looking for something more modern than DB9 as current laptops hardly have that port ..

overall, I think this information on item specific to 7250 may be good in the page dedicated to 7250 ICX7250 / ICX7450 - Fohdeesha Docs so people dont have to repeat the searches..

any other suggestions on above would be welcomed. thank you

Feb 19, 2021
Thank you. I guess I can not set it up today since I don't have the specific cable 7250 wants. I will have to do some research to understand what options there are besides

a) DB9 to USB mini from ebay
b) Rolling my own (which I do not have a solder lamp for anymore)

also looking for something more modern than DB9 as current laptops hardly have that port ..

overall, I think this information on item specific to 7250 may be good in the page dedicated to 7250 ICX7250 / ICX7450 - Fohdeesha Docs so people dont have to repeat the searches..

any other suggestions on above would be welcomed. thank you
You really don't have to solder this I did it with a keystone jack (home depot if necessary) and I didn't even punch the cables in. I literally just punched them in with a small piece of plastic. A junk USB mini cable to sacrifice and a keystone. Super simple you'll be amazed.

Reactions: EngChiSTH