QSFP+ NIC to Cisco SFP switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

applesapplesapples

Oct 9, 2021
I recently picked up a server with a two ConnectX®-3 Ethernet Single and Dual QSFP+ Port Adapter Cards installed and was given two Cisco Catalyst 3560CG-8PC-S Compact Switches as well and was wondering if it's possible to get the connection from the server's QSFP+ port to the SFP port on the Cisco switch. I am not very familiar with SFP networking but based reading some other posts (Using a 40GbE (QSFP+) NIC with a 10GbE Switch (SFP+)) it seems like it may be possible? I was looking at getting a 40G QSFP+ to 10G SFP+ converter module and using an SFP+ cable to the Cisco switch but since it's only an SFP port on the switch I'm not sure that the SFP+ cable work and just use the slower SFP speed?

Any help or direction would be very appreciated!

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I've never tried but Linux says CX3s support 1G.

You will not be able to connect the dense end of a breakout to older cards like what the OP has and use one lane. You can only use a QSFP to SFP adapter.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

plus HPE Genuine HP BLc VC 1Gb SFP RJ-45 Module 453156-001Copper ETHERNET Transceiver | eBay

will get you a regular 1gbps copper RJ45 port you can plug into your switch, not much reason to go with an SFP dac or fiber, it'll still just be 1gbps with your switch

Reactions: nickf1227

applesapplesapples

Oct 9, 2021
Thanks everyone. @fohdeesha would that adapter be ok for QSFP+ port on the cards?

Also, any recommendations for a reasonable QSFP+ switch? I was thinking of throwing the other QSFP+ card in another computer to link the two. Can the be linked directly without a switch?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks everyone. @fohdeesha would that adapter be ok for QSFP+ port on the cards?

Also, any recommendations for a reasonable QSFP+ switch? I was thinking of throwing the other QSFP+ card in another computer to link the two. Can the be linked directly without a switch?
yes that adapter would work in the cards. or like you said you could go directly between two PCs with a qsfp DAC, that would work no problem