The quest for the HGST UltraStar SN260 firmware updates...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
This is turning into a sh**t show of how pathetic this industry is turning.

Quick recap:
Any iDRAC update after 5.00.yy.z bricks my Dell PowerEdge T640 if the two Dell-Banded HGST NVMe drives are present in the system.
(yellow screen of death).

- Case opened with Dell support.
They tried to dodge the bullet by saying this was a 3d party drive. When I showed them pictures of my drives with a Dell sticker on it, they came up with:

"Hello Vincent,

Thank you for your patience.

I have discussed this case further with the highest level engineering team. The have checked the part number and images provided for drives along
with TSR log. They explained that its possible that you have purchased it from Dell website however these are third party drives. As per log drives
are running on third party firmware KNGND101 and CPLD is outdated. They have advised to update CPLD to 1.0.4. The team also could not find any
firmware on HGST website for the given drives hence have suggested to reach vendor HGST to submit a case and check if they have any further firmware
available.

CPLD download link : https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER05611470M/1/CPLD_Firmware_65XFV_WN64_1.0.4_A00.EXE

Best Regards,

Nikhat Parveen
Technical Support Engineer 1
Dell | EMC || Infrastructure Solutions Support
nikhat_parveen@dell.com
Working Hours: Monday ‒ Friday | 7AM-4PM (CT)
"

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
As for WD/HGST support...

After two cases on the WDC support portal (only the 2nd one was answered), I was advised to:
------------------
[02:25:16 PM]VINCENT COJOT: Take your time, it's OK. Those are expensive drives and I went for them because they had 5 years warranty on them
[02:29:27 PM]Tony A: Alright I would request you to kindly create an account on the below given link and then you will have to register these drives on to the portal, Once the drives are registered, you will be able to see all firmware's and downloads available for these drives.
[02:29:57 PM]VINCENT COJOT: Thank you. What is the URL?
[02:30:13 PM]Tony A: Login Template Title
---------------------
This was last week, then today HGST B2B support and said:
"
Hello Vincent,

we realized this unit is not supported by the Enterprise support team.

please go to the following link and log a case there for support on these drives.
Ultrastar SN200 Series PCIe SSD | Western Digital

I will move this case to closed.

Regards,
--------------------
Then a few moments later, I get another email saying that they are actively working on it.

"

Last edited:
Reactions: altmind

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Luckily, I had the two WDC support case numbers available and they were not able to dodge this last reply.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Now if anyone has a more recent firmware than KNGND101 for the HUSMR7676BHP3Y1, I'll take that.
(Please and thanks in advance). It's now been over a week of trying to locate a firmware update for these HGST NVMe HHHL drives (UltraStart Sn260)

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Ok, got in touch with someone from WD who finally helped get the updated firmware and tools (Windows, Linux and UEFI).
Here's the procedure:

1) go to https://portal.wdc.com/s and register your email.
2) register your drives and wait for them to be 'verified'. Once verified, you will get access to the downloads.

I flashed my drivers using 'nvme' from RHEL 8.4 like this:
# nvme fw-download /dev/nvme0 -f KNGND110.bin
# nvme fw-download /dev/nvme1 -f KNGND110.bin
# nvme fw-commit /dev/nvme0
# nvme fw-commit /dev/nvme1

Do a complete power off.

then from 1.10 to 1.22
# nvme fw-download /dev/nvme0 -f KNGND122.bin
# nvme fw-download /dev/nvme1 -f KNGND122.bin
# nvme fw-commit /dev/nvme0
# nvme fw-commit /dev/nvme1

Do a complete power off (again)>

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Nice! I think you might actually be the first person on this site to successfully navigate the clusterfuck of getting firmware for these SN series drives

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
I've got some copies of the zip files on dropbox because it appears that one's registration must be 'validated' on the HGST site before one can actually register a drive. Please PM me with your email so I can share the files if you need them.

Last edited:

qddnth

Mar 23, 2021
I've got some copies of the zip files on dropbox because it appears that one's registration must be 'validated' on the HGST site before one can actually register a drive. Please PM me with your email so I can share the files if you need them.

This is the first ever HGST SN product related post I've ever seen after days of searching, and it worked. Thank you very very very much for sharing these files on Dropbox.

I'm also looking for HGST firmware for my HUSMR HUSMM sas 12g SSD drives but no hope. This is also a quest but I don't think I could be as lucky as you.

ElCoyote_

Jul 22, 2016
Hi @qddnth If you need firmware for other HGST Enterprise drives as an individual (rather than an enterprise) I've been advised by HGST staff to do this:
1) Go to Support Login
2) register there and submit a ticket, eventually, your ticket -should- be routed to the proper people and you will be able to obtain firmware that way.

qddnth

Mar 23, 2021
Hi @qddnth If you need firmware for other HGST Enterprise drives as an individual (rather than an enterprise) I've been advised by HGST staff to do this:
1) Go to Support Login
2) register there and submit a ticket, eventually, your ticket -should- be routed to the proper people and you will be able to obtain firmware that way.
Thank you, I’ll give it a try.

peter_sch

Oct 11, 2022

Thanks a lot - that was incredibly helpful! I was close to giving up upgrading to ESXi 7.0 because it requires the SN200s to have newer firmware that I couldn't find anywhere.

Using the appropriate firmware binary from the download package I was able to perform the update directly from the ESXi command line:
Code:
[root@esxi:~] esxcli nvme device get -A vmhba1 | egrep "Serial Number|Model Number|Firmware Revision"
   Serial Number: SDM0000XXXX       
   Model Number: UCSC-NVMEHW-H6400                       
   Firmware Revision: KNCCP100

[root@esxi:~] esxcli nvme device firmware download -A vmhba1 -f /[path-to]/KNCCD122_padded.bin
Download firmware successfully.

[root@esxi:~] esxcli nvme device firmware activate -a 1 -A vmhba1 -s 0
Commit firmware successfully, but activation requires reboot.

[root@esxi:~] esxcli nvme device log fwslot get -A vmhba1
Firmware Slot Info:
   Firmware Slot to Be Activated at Next Controller Reset: 5
   Firmware Slot Being Activated: 5
   Firmware Revision for Slot 1: KNCCP100
   Firmware Revision for Slot 2: KNCCP100
   Firmware Revision for Slot 3: KNCCP100
   Firmware Revision for Slot 4: KNCCP100
   Firmware Revision for Slot 5: KNCCD122
   Firmware Revision for Slot 6:
   Firmware Revision for Slot 7:
(rebooting server)
Code:
[root@esxi:~] esxcli nvme device get -A vmhba1 | egrep "Serial Number|Model Number|Firmware Revision"
   Serial Number: SDM0000XXXX       
   Model Number: UCSC-NVMEHW-H6400                       
   Firmware Revision: KNCCD122

Reactions: ElCoyote_