Fiber Optic Networking Guide SC or LC Connector

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
TBH I don't see what value does this bring at all. LC and SC are the same thing in terms of their optical performance and bandwidth.
There are so many connectors and cables out there. Why not explain something complicated like multi-fiber ones and compare those? Breakout cables too. Or even providing insights for duplex/simplex lc/sc would be more interesting than comparing two identical connectors.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I disagree. I prefer full coverage and I am ready to learn new stuff. For example, I have never seen two SC connectors like that before. The ones I'm familiar with are from my ISPs and they only have a single strand. I was on the fence about LC or MPO/MTP because wide band MM OM5 cables are becoming available and I've read they are good for 100G using LC connectors. Put BiDi into the mix and you can do the same using SC connectors.

What my investigation has told me is just running fiber isn't the end-all to "future proofing." Only conduit satisfies that requirement. There are also techniques used by tradesmen for deploying pull cords properly--lots to learn there.

Reactions: JediAcolyte

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There are so many connectors and cables out there. Why not explain something complicated like multi-fiber ones and compare those? Breakout cables too. Or even providing insights for duplex/simplex lc/sc would be more interesting than comparing two identical connectors.
I think they'll get to that eventually, just taking it slow:)

Maybe it's helpful to add requests/questions/ideas in this topic area so they have some food for further articles/content in the series beyond what they already plan :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Reactions: nasi and tinfoil3d

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The only thing I would say is I haven’t seen or used SC in 5 years now.
SFP/SFP+/QSFP+/QSFP/XFP etc are all using LC.
So the old Xenpak and X2’s used to use LC but who uses that any more ? what else in recent history does ? (All the DWDM hardware has moved on in the last years to LC)

MPO/MPT and the different types and what is reversible and what is not is a minefield, way harder to explain to people.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Evan - that is why we are going slowly through this.

We had a switch review on tap today, but it is hung up at the new video editor. I think we are going to break things down to small bits, like explaining different options for certain parts, then maybe do a big article/ wrap-up video