Power Protection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
Mods, please move this to a more appropriate location if necessary.

I have shitty power at my home. Probably twice monthly (but a half to 1 sec) power surges or sags. I don't want large/expensive battery backups to cover me for a blackout, just for the poor quality power. My limited electrical knowledge says that the standard (quality) surge suppressors will only work for a surge and not a sag. Is there a product that fits my needs?
Thanks all!

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
On 120v you can try to use an ATS between two separate phases. Typically the brownouts only occur on one phase at a time and this can be enough protection.

This was my strategy for the past couple of years and out of probably 60 brown outs, only one took my machines down.

That said, I just bought 4 line interactive UPSes to handle that last small percentage of failures, because losing my work costs more than the UPS hardware.

Reactions: Brian Puccio

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
Thank you @BlueFox and @Layla
This forum never disappoints.

I'll start looking into the power conditioner. The ATS are a good idea but what I've seen are more expensive than a good line interactive UPS like a couple of my APC units that I have now.

Reactions: Layla