Needing pointers on current decent enterprise SATA/SAS SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I'm going to be as brief as possible.

3 years ago I planned to overhaul my data storage backend replacing all my drives with enterprise SSDs, as the computers in my house were (And still are) using quite old HDs, and I had not enough spare capacity to do full backups. Since SSDs have a naturally high lifespan if not heavily writed to, used enterprise SSDs seemed to be perfect for what I wanted since most times they served as cheap, high quality drives with tons of endurance left, making them inherently better than consumer SSDs. Alternatively, I considered putting all these SSDs in a single machine and making a ZFS NAS, according to what the available Hardware allowed me to do and what was more convenient.
I was going to purchase some stuff from an user here after figuring out I can't chase any of the things posted in Great Deals, but the deal went down because my country got hit with a 100% devaluation in a two weeks period while I still figured out the shipping details and custom office paperwork, thus I ended up doing nothing. The next time I had money on hand, I spended on a pair of GPUs to mine Ethereum. Now my old Seagate 4 TB HD, which I purchased in 2013, is throwing critical SMART errors, and needs a replacement (Besides that while all the critical stuff has a backup, many non-critical things that are still valuable do not due to lack of storage capacity. I still didn't really tested what can be recovered due to not having where to put all that, will deal with that AFTER gearing up), so it is a good time to fix this once and for all.

However, with the emergence of Chia pretty much completely disrupting the used enterprise SSD market, I'm currently at a loss regarding what to do. My current alternatives are:

1 - Locally purchase standard consumer grade SSDs and call it a day. This is the path of least resistance
2 - Pestering people here to get me a quick overview of what is currently available until I find something affordable and workable

So far, I don't know what are the current go-to SSDs models. Most of the old ones I knew of are, well, old, and I suppose that currently there may be other or better things available. Also, the fact that I have to be constantly looking for deals when big servers decomissions happens also makes them hard to get.
For one, I know that whereas previously purchasing used enterprise SSDs was mostly safe because most high endurance units were still good even if decently worn, Chia changed that so now it seems that I need to check far better who sells them and ask for SMART status and endurance left, so vendor seems to matter much more than previously. Also saw that there are several SSDs that seems to brick themselves after certain uptime if you don't apply a Firmware update, and also OEMs models that have no public support whatsover. Thus I know that there are a lot of things to avoid, but not what is left after accounting for those.

Typically, I always aimed at some used enterprise SATA SSDs like the Intel S3500 line, albeit I'm also interesed in a SAS HBA and SSDs if price is right. Anything M.2/U.2 is out of question because I'm on a Xeon E3 Haswell platform, so NVMe requires adapters and BIOS modding. So what are my current alternatives without breaking the bank? I'm looking for around 4-8 TB in total capacity. Price is an important factor, but since I don't know the current status of the SSD market, I first need to have some form of anchor price.

Reactions: Brian Puccio

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
*BUMP*

No one can give me some tips or advice about what to look for? I used to check what was available on eBay then look for reviews of these models, but these days I'm rather burn out to research this by myself from scratch. Would appreciate suggestions.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Final *BUMP*

I didn't did anything about this. In my country, elections are coming soon and that makes the US dollar quite volatile, so I wanted to decide and buy something before that happened. Yet, I simply don't have the will to do SSD research from scratch, but still need to see how to get this issue solved somehow.

I suppose that I will have to lurk in Chia specializing communities given the fact than they are the current go-to for storage hoarders, since most of the articles that I looked at are recent enough.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
How much data do you plan on writing to these SSDs on any given day and do you need PLP?

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
How much data do you plan on writing to these SSDs on any given day and do you need PLP?
I don't really need Power Loss Protection as a feature. If I ever get into that, chances are that I'l purchase an UPS instead. But, I will take it if the price difference is low, of course.

About how many writes I need, chances are that the SSDs are going to be merely long term cold storage for your standard lifetime data hoard. I plan to backup everything out of all the HDs currently in service by imaging them, then take my time to sort the stuff, and ocassionally shove some bulk data into them. Actual writes will be way lower than any consumer SSD that has temp files in it, so they aren't going to get hammered at all since after the initial backup they will be deal as read only mostly. Heck, you could even consider them some WORM (Write Once Read Many) tape. Theorically, I could actually go for the lowest endurance models.
I'm sure that someone would recommend to use cheaper HDs for cold storage instead of SSDs since I have no need for the performance, just capacity, yet I want to get out of mechanical stuff for long term durability reasons. Given the fact than I don't upgrade often, whatever I purchase may see on and off usage for the next 5-10 years, and SSDs looks far more reliable at that. More so considering than enterprise stuff should last longer than your average consumer low end SSD. Plus no noise, no vibrations, etc.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
HGST SAS SSD1600 series parts are usually considered good drives. These are high endurance devices but it doesn't even sound like you need that. Why not just get brand new Samsung or Intel consumer drives at retail? It sounds like you will be putting minimal writes on these drives so why not just get consumer drives? Won't need to worry about chia mining then...

Last edited:

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I think people can't post useful information because nobody knows how the used enterprise ssd market currently looks like.
In Germany multiple it (and gaming) news sites reported that they bought ssds from china/east asia that arrived with extreme low life expectancy left (eg gamestar: Fast kaputte SSDs: Miner verkaufen abgenutzte Festplatten)
I'm aware of this. The current rule is to avoid any vendor with low reputation because you could get a completely worn SSD after being smashed by Chia mining. But, given the hurdles of international shipping and that I don't get a second chance (Returns are VERY expensive), I wasn't going to risk purchasing stuff from nonreputable vendor anyways.

HGST SAS SSD1600 series parts are usually considered good drives. These are high endurance devices but it doesn't even sound like you need that. Why not just get brand new Samsung or Intel consumer drives at retail? It sounds like you will be putting minimal writes on these drives so why not just get consumer drives? Won't need to worry about chia mining then...
Ironically, in 2019 I wanted to buy a HGST SSD1600MR and a SAS HBA from one user here. Seems like things didn't changed too much if it is still among the best.

Yeah, I'm aware that due to usage needs I could go with consumer drives. But price wise it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. For example, on Amazon there is currently a Crucial BX500 2 TB for 180 U$D, or a Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB for 170 U$D, yet there is on eBay a reputable vendor with the HGST Ultrastar SSD1600MM 1.6TB SSD in good condition for 209 U$D per drive or 195 U$D for 4 (Which is my target). Doesn't seem to me like the extra money for a much higher quality drive isn't worth it, the difference is reasonable, and we're talking about MLC vs QLC.

Brian Puccio

Jul 26, 2014
yet there is on eBay a reputable vendor with the HGST Ultrastar SSD1600MM 1.6TB SSD in good condition for 209 U$D per drive or 195 U$D for 4 (Which is my target). Doesn't seem to me like the extra money for a much higher quality drive isn't worth it, the difference is reasonable, and we're talking about MLC vs QLC.
I have 8 of those from that seller running as four mirrors in my proxmox host. Very happy with them and in my very limited knowledge, they do seem to be one of the few SAS enterprise SSDs at decent prices.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Well, for anyone interesed in knowing what happened with this. As expected, I'm going to take the path of least resistance and go for a pair of Seagate 4 TB HDs with SMR ( ST4000DM004 ), which are cheap enough to at least give me the small peace of mind that I can solve the backup problem for 10% or so of the price and without burning my brain on planning the logistics, so is enough to not regret it even if it doesn't fully satisfies me. There doesn't seem to be any other alternatives, some WDs that are possibly SMR too, or lines that are much more expensive. I can't delay this any more since after elections there is a lot of uncertainty, and that always causes the dollar to rise.

I desisted with the used SSD idea since the customs office doesn't allow average people to import used electronics, and I still have no idea whenever there are exceptions that may make doing so via a legal way possible. Thus the only viable way at this point is straight out contraband and declare them as new, but that requires a seller that wants to help you out (Which this one seems a bold no, and that means that I need yet another middleman to process it before international shipping), and even then, I'm not risking 1K U$D in case that there is a custom office employee smart enough to notice how much one of these SSDs cost new, and force me to pay an import duty based on that value instead of the value that I would actually be paying them as used SSDs.
I have yet to find a way that allows me to enjoy access to the second hand enterprise Hardware market, giving the fact than even the first step is impossible. I always found that highly infuriating.