How to administer Asus GT-AX11000 when in AP mode?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zara654

May 15, 2021
I just switched my AX11000 into AP mode. I can't seem to figure out how to connect to the admin UI. Previously, I have used router.asus.com:port to login. I have tried 192.168.1.1:port to get in too, but that did not work. I scanned the network with arp too, tried that ip address, and that did not work. How can I manage this when in access point mode?

I have all of the security settings turned up. What's the default admin ip address? Don't think I can get back in through the router.asus.com in the future when running an access point. Never had 192.168.1.1 work when this was working as a router.

Jun 22, 2015
If you switched to AP mode with DHCP client on (normally it's automatically on when you switch to AP mode), then you can get the IP address from your DHCP server.

zara654

May 15, 2021
I have it plugged in directly to my modem. Tried arp -a for the address. It's just passing my modem through, right? I should probably just factory reset, and load my backed up settings.

Next time I try turning this into an access point. I should just get my lan port working on my OPNSense firewall / router, and go from there?

zara654

May 15, 2021
Just hardware reset. Looking at the device it looks like the issue might have been I restricted logging in to the router to the ip address of my pc. Looks like that changed when I switched the router to an access point. I'll have to disable the security features once I have the new router setup properly to test logging in. Thanks for the help.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You will not be able to just directly plug it into your modem. You're still going to need a router of some sort and the AP will need be behind it, just like any other device.

zara654

May 15, 2021
When I plugged the router in in access point mode to the modem, I was still able to connect to the internet through the lan ports. I'm guessing Asus has proprietary protocols in there making stuff possible that isn't typical in your standard access point.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Then it's just a router. There's nothing proprietary about it.

zara654

May 15, 2021
I just know Asus has a bunch of proprietary technology in it, and that's why dd-wrt does not support the router. I had it in access point mode, and probably lost my ability to login as the ip address of my pc changed. I could not connect to the wireless broadband after the switch over. I'd have to check next time why that was. I did not turn off all of the security settings I had turned on, which is probably why I could not connect to the wireless.

When a router is in access point mode do the lan ports typically function, without a router connected?

Jun 22, 2015
In case you are not aware, letting your LAN exposed to outside is extremely unsafe, even for a short time. You would be surprised to know how much port scanning is going on in the wild over there.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
There's nothing too special about Asus' AP mode. The WAN port is turned into an additional LAN port, you can use DHCP or static IP to access the AP.
Asus also has a discovery tool that can quickly identify the AP if you're having trouble finding it.