16 Core 32 Thread HP z820 dual socket workstation build/performance upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gabe-a

Sep 10, 2020
Cool -- for science! Just curious in the meantime if anyone with a E5-2667 v2 could compare to compare the voltage at the same clocks as posted in S-C's screenshots previously to identify the obvious culprit (lower voltage per clock on the oem version). If performance is truly the same across a variety of sustained high-AVX loads, that would be the most obvious culprit.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Just curious in the meantime if anyone with a E5-2667 v2 could compare to compare the voltage at the same clocks as posted in S-C's screenshots previously to identify the obvious culprit (lower voltage per clock on the oem version). If performance is truly the same across a variety of sustained high-AVX loads
Yep, 2667v2 definitely has lower voltage ))) Here is performance in GFlops (and power consumption) under "high-AVX load" for reference.
2667v2.png

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Cool -- for science! Just curious in the meantime if anyone with a E5-2667 v2 could compare to compare the voltage at the same clocks as posted in S-C's screenshots previously to identify the obvious culprit (lower voltage per clock on the oem version). If performance is truly the same across a variety of sustained high-AVX loads, that would be the most obvious culprit.
Yeah, the OEM E5 2673 obviously uses a lower voltage than the 2667 accounting for the difference in TDP. But again, don't take my CPUz screenshots as a perfect representation. The voltage jumps around a good bit making comparison per clock impossible until we can go toe to toe on a testbench with same hardware. I will do a detailed study on voltage as well.

TDP is determined by what?
Voltage and frequency?

Point being, since both chips have the same frequency here, the only other variable may be core voltage. And one thing we know for certain is that merely increasing core voltage is not going to increase performance if both chips are running at the same clock speed.

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
One other little upgrade to match my pre-existing THX sound system. The sound is incredibly rich and adding a high performance sound card to the mix allows it to perform at a very high level from an audio quality perspective.

Logitech Z623 400 Watt Home Speaker System
1601061261977.png

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Sound Card SB1350

1601060788794.png

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
New thread started for the CPU performance comparison: Ivy Bridge E5-2673 v2 vs E5-2667 v2

Detailed OEM vs Retail CPU Performance Comparison

The two E5-2667 v2 chips will be here within a week or two and we will get started at that point and we can finally know for sure if there is any performance deviation between the two chips. Better grab some popcorn because it's going down :)

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
From my experience, the liquid coing in these HP Z820 is neither robust, nor high end.
We had a lot of premature failures with these, both inside and outside of the warranty period. And due to the size and design, cooling performance is not where you would expect when hearing 'water cooling'.
I upgraded cpu coolers to two small Noctua air coolers after the last failure. Cpu temps are better, noise is lower, and I don't expect them to break any time soon.
So I will ask again, what processors were you running in your Z820? Are you sure it was a z820 and not a budget wal mart economy gaming pc? Perhaps you are getting the two things confused. In terms of CPU cooler reliability, I've owned both my z820 rigs for about 6 months now and I've had zero problems with mine, and I will say they are actually very well built with very robust and reliable high end Nidec factory fans and include active cooling on all 16 RAM slots as well. So your response is a little puzzling since one look at the CPU cooler design should erase all doubts of any "cheap construction" going on here. In my estimation it is usually the electrical connection between the CPU cooler and mobo that you must be overlooking when you cry about reliability problems here. The alignment teeth can fail, sometimes get broken off and the electrical connection from CPU fan to motherboard can be compromised which will throw some errors during the POST process. This can be fixed with a 20 cent zip tie, fyi.

1601520888038.png

Connects to the motherboard here:

1601521361863.png

The reason I am pressing you is because you seem to have posted this and then run and ducked for cover. Because my z820s have no problem holding 120-150 Watt TDP chips more than 50* below their TJMax. And so far, you have not qualified your supposed scenario with sufficient information to sell the myth that the z820 is neither high end nor robust. For example, I can say "The corvette ZR1 is slow" but it doesn't mean anything unless it's qualified, right?

Attachments

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Except it doesn't. Modern single socket systems have considerably more even with half the CPUs. Dual socket AMD Epyc nets you ~4x the memory bandwidth.

The others are also correct about TDP and multipliers. Turbo boost is not indefinite.
Sure for all out servers you are talking about I assume? This is a workstation, a rather old workstation, that has nearly 100GB effective bandwidth across the board, far higher bandwidth than even extremely high running state of the art and overclocked DDR4 higher performance desktops you would find on the market today. Thats the class I have it configured for, it's a gaming machine, desktop machine and some rendering work as well. Point being, for similar usage roles, this machine has roughly 50% MORE BANDWIDTH THAN A BRAND NEW HOT OF THE ASSEMBLY LINE HIGH PERFORMANCE DESKTOP / GAMING PC. So my original statement was correct. It still kicks ass in the memory bandwidth division based on the classification of using it as a gaming and general purpose high performance desktop PC.

So interesting question for you.

Are you saying for example, that my E5 2696 v2 rig, which has an all core turbo of 3.1GHz, across all 12 cores, can only sustain the all core turbo for a specific period of time? Please elaborate, and provide some examples please. I am curious as to what you have to say about it.

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Except it doesn't. Modern single socket systems have considerably more even with half the CPUs. Dual socket AMD Epyc nets you ~4x the memory bandwidth.

The others are also correct about TDP and multipliers. Turbo boost is not indefinite.
Also, can you provide an example of a modern day single socket system that has considerably more bandwidth than 100GB R/W/C?
It's not that I don't believe you it's just the majority of single socket modern day systems typically run a dual channel configuration, but yet even 5000Mhz memory in a dual channel kit is still going to be way slower in terms of overall bandwidth, right?

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Are you saying for example, that my E5 2696 v2 rig, which has an all core turbo of 3.1GHz, across all 12 cores, can only sustain the all core turbo for a specific period of time? Please elaborate, and provide some examples please. I am curious as to what you have to say about it.
Have you ever heard about heavy AVX loads, son? Intel implemented different sets of multipliers in the 3rd version of xeon family for AVX load simply because v2's were unable to fit into the claimed TDP under AVX load and sustain the all core turbo (leading to turbo throttling).
And yep, E5 2696 v2 has TDP of 120w only. Even much more power-efficient v4 will require 145w to sustain 3.2GHz all 12-cores turbo under heavy load, no way older Ivy Bridge will fit into 120W. Doubt it? Linpack can prove it to you. Simply run it and watch how your all-core multiplier is melting under the real load (not fake UserBenchmark load).

v4.PNG

Storm-follower

Jan 5, 2021
Have you ever heard about heavy AVX loads, son? Intel implemented different sets of multipliers in the 3rd version of xeon family for AVX load simply because v2's were unable to fit into the claimed TDP under AVX load and sustain the all core turbo (leading to turbo throttling).
And yep, E5 2696 v2 has TDP of 120w only. Even much more power-efficient v4 will require 145w to sustain 3.2GHz all 12-cores turbo under heavy load, no way older Ivy Bridge will fit into 120W. Doubt it? Linpack can prove it to you. Simply run it and watch how your all-core multiplier is melting under the real load (not fake UserBenchmark load).

Of course he knows. He knows everything about it.

Nobody can do what he does. He has a few months experience and knows all!!

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
It's fun, but some people don't understand that low TDP is a limitation, not a virtue. Under heavy load CPU will always drop turbo multiplier only to fit into own TDP. My first Sandy was rare 2689 with 115w TDP and turbo frequency 3.3 GHz for all cores. I tested it for a couple of weeks, sold it and switched for the twice as expensive 2687w with turbo frequency 3.4 GHz for all cores. Not worth the hassle for additional 100 MHz, right? Wrong. I use computationally intensive solvers in daily routine, but you can use anything like Linx to check that: while 2687w easily maintain 3.4 GHz under heavy load consuming 140-150W, 2689 had struggled and dropped down the multiplier to 28 only to fit into tight 115W TDP budget.
So just a quick update on this controversial thread. I've now had years to test out the z820 E5 2673 v2 rig. This particular machine has stock liquid cooling and two 8 core processors that have a single core turbo of 4.0GHz and an all core turbo of 4.0GHz. The TDP comes in at 110Watts. With two processors that's 220W and 16 cores and 32 threads. Contrary to what you are saying, my 2673, despite the lower TDP always held 3.6GHz all core boost under any performance conditions, and never once dropped below that.

EDIT:
It offers equivalent performance, all core, than Intel's flagship 2687w. Let me explain. The processor family will run in all core boost all the time, given you have proper cooling solutions in place. This effectively makes the all core turbo speed essentially the processors "base speed". In the case of single core turbo, both processors perform identically, since they both have a single core speed of 4.000GHz. But the lower wattage 3673 v2 actually performs even with the the 2678w in all core boost, which is 3.6GHz for both chips. All core turbo will essentially act as the base speed given you have proper cooling in place. Keep these performance indicators in mind, we can see that the 2673 v2 is incredibly performing nearly on par with a shell shocking net loss of 40 W TDP.

Last edited:

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Don't take this the wrong way but while reading this thread I cant help wondering if you are really interested in honest comments and critique or you just want to have confirmation.
No problem, some people respond with slight anger if they are wrong because most people, especially technical people who work on computers think they are correct 100% of the time) any conflict in the thread but nothing of that has been from me, and im not perfect either. I'm simply correcting some issues I see, nothing personal and laying out the facts. I'm just basically stating specs and stats from general processors that have been double checked to be confirmed accurate. I have nothing against anyone here, you guys have been great. I hope we can all get through this sincerity from one and all because the last thing I want is conflict here. On anger / driving force; for other users to check CPU database sites to confirm or deny my claims are getting bad information on actually turbo speeds, nearly all online vendors get this wrong.

Then I was laughed at for simply stating Intel's principal processor, that's Intel's 2697 v2, It' actually a bit slower than the 2696 v2 (both processor have identical single core turbos, but 2696 v2 actually has a 100MHz increase in all core turbo speed) (and therefore, a better buy, it is also cheaper than the flagship 12 core by about $15-30.) Also paradoxically, Intel's 2696 v2 manages this 100MHz increase in all core turbo "base" speed with a lower TDP of 110 watts as opposed to 15
Simply adding memory bandwidth of two sockets tells very little about the "performance" of the resulting build. But you can always measure actual latency and bandwidth for situation when CPU from one socket uses data in memory belonging to the CPU sitting in other socket. Feel free to share with us measured latency and loaded memory bandwidth values.
Here is where we are at right with memory bandwidth:

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
and an all core turbo of 4.0GHz. The TDP comes in at 110Watts.
that's really cool, because 2650v2 (8 cores) can't even hold 2.9GHz all cores turbo under Linx, simply because of 95W TDP wall. First 10 seconds it is allowed to consume more, but once TDP limitation comes into play, frequency drops. And that's the same Ivy generation. But yeah, I believe that under light load everything is possible. Cooling has nothing to do about that, I've never seen CPU temperature above 62C :p

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
that's really cool, because 2650v2 (8 cores) can't even hold 2.9GHz all cores turbo under Linx, simply because of 95W TDP wall. First 10 seconds it is allowed to consume more, but once TDP limitation comes into play, frequency drops. And that's the same Ivy generation. But yeah, I believe that under light load everything is possible. Cooling has nothing to do about that, I've never seen CPU temperature above 62C :p
Correction: both processors have an all core turbo speed of 3.6GHz, I will respond to the other things later I just wanted to clarify that first. my bad, but I will be responding and expanding on my perspective shortly on the other controveries. lol

Attachments

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Simply adding memory bandwidth of two sockets tells very little about the "performance" of the resulting build. But you can always measure actual latency and bandwidth for situation when CPU from one socket uses data in memory belonging to the CPU sitting in other socket. Feel free to share with us measured latency and loaded memory bandwidth values.
Yeah, you obviously cant tell much about "performance" until you benchmark said hardware. That's why they make benchmarks, lol. This is my z820 maxed out with best possible memory config for performance. Not bad considering Zen 2 was for a while in a very similar range in terms of memory latency numbers. This memory configuration with net you almost twice the memory bandwidth of a brand new state of the art dual channel DDR4 system running at approximately 4000MHZ. This is simply posted to demonstrate the competitiveness in 2021 of the aging DDR3 platform of the z820.

1630598001061.png

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Hmm, that's strange.... my 2650v had no trouble holding 2.9GHz for even the longer duration benchmarks. Here take a look for yourself. Even monitoring real time I never saw the speed dip below 3GHz.

1630598415226.png

1630598434579.png

1630598463077.png

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Here is the 2673 v2 actually outperforming a 2687w v2. These charts prove EXACTLY what I have been saying all along. The 3.4 boost helps with single core but basically where it matters they are pretty much dead even if you account for margin of error. more results to follow

1630607100524.png

1630607128563.png

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
What would settle this once and for all is if we could get someone with a 2687W v2 to post the following screenshot regarding power levels and boost controls... here it is for my 2673 v2. If all the #s are the same on the 2687w we know that performance will be identical regardless of TDP. (this is from AIDA64 under CPUID settings)

1630607968292.png

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Hmm, that's strange.... my 2650v had no trouble holding 2.9GHz for even the longer duration benchmarks. Here take a look for yourself. Even monitoring real time I never saw the speed dip below 3GHz.
LOL, that's because CPU-Z which you are using for benchmarking is unable to make more than 70W load on 2650v2. And I'm talking about Linx that pulls about 110W from 2650v2 (at 3GHz!) during first 10 seconds, then 'Power Limit 1' comes into play and CPU is not permitted to consume more than TDP hence dropping its frequency below 2.9GHz.