Video Home Setup Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EBG

Jun 25, 2021
Does anyone know if a budget camera system I can use for my airbnb homes. I'm looking to put 3-4 cameras outside of 3 airbnb homes. I would really like to setup the storage and monitor for monitoring the cameras at my personal home which is about 5 miles away from the homes. Each home as 200mbps download and 35mbps upload and I have 1gig at my home.

Currently I have 1 storage server at my home which has about 50TB of space. Would this be possible? I've had a few people tell me to look into Axis. Does anyone have a setup they can shed some light on or if this is even possible. Any advice would help for a noob like myself.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I would put a small server in each home. Then have a rsync job send the files to the main server. You can still view the cameras remotely.

Run Shinobi in a docker container. And use poe ip cameras. Easy.

Chris

Reactions: Amrhn

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Frigate on a small server, with a [USB] Coral also works well. I have mine rigged (with mqtt) to upload videos-of-interest to an offsite self-hosted Minio instance, and it messages me the link to the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amrhn