10 4tb hdds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Plex2020

May 22, 2020
I’m building a 10 4tb NAS what’s the best way to connect them a sata expander or a 9211 8i HBA and a 4i?

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
SATA expanders seem to have more issues than you would get with just a HBA. SAS expanders seem to work well for most people, but you can get a pair of HBAs for less than the cost of an expander, at least at the time I was looking. I would just get a pair of 8i HBAs unless you get a really good deal on the 4i.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
SATA expanders seem to have more issues than
concur - stay away from SATA expanders.

you would get with just a HBA. SAS expanders seem to work well for most people, but you can get a pair of HBAs for less than the cost of an expander, at least at the time I was looking. I would just get a pair of 8i HBAs unless you get a really good deal on the 4i.
I'd say less than the cost of a SAS3 expander.

If you are talking SAS2 expanders the venerable HPE one works well for spinners (and SAS2 SSD's) just make sure to update the firmware. There are limitations - 3Gbps for SATA spinners for example but with spinners IMO that's plenty. This expander I think is still < $20 or so on the bay.

Yikes Chia inflation hit the old SAS2 expanders too. You might ask in the WTB thread as someone may have one of the OLD HPE expanders and are willing to let it go inexpensively.

If you are doing something unraid, zfs etc. etc. where IT mode is preferred connection method and you are using SATA drives then a single 8i HBA and 2 onboard SATA ports (ideally intel chipset) would likely be fine too.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Not using an expander leaves you with a cabling mess.

Jimmy wants a nas

Jan 26, 2021
I've used a Dell H200 flashed to make them a HBA this gives me 8 ports then if you nee you couls always use the sata ports on the motherboard.
It all depends on the case you want to use for your project.

Plex2020

May 22, 2020
I've used a Dell H200 flashed to make them a HBA this gives me 8 ports then if you nee you couls always use the sata ports on the motherboard.
It all depends on the case you want to use for your project.
Well I found on eBay a 9211 8i and a 9211 4i bothe in IT mode for less than 100.00

Jimmy wants a nas

Jan 26, 2021
Well I found on eBay a 9211 8i and a 9211 4i bothe in IT mode for less than 100.00
Nice find, saves doing all the flashing yourself hoping you have done it right. But for me I paid £12 and took the chance. For me it worked out. Still a nice find tho.