Gen4 U.2 NVMe Drives - How to connect to motherboard?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I have several Asrock ROMED8-2T EPYC Milan based systems, and wish to add 4x Samsung PM9A3 Gen4 U.2 SSDs to them.

The boards have 2x 4-lane Oculink connectors, which will work fine for two of the drives using Oculink SFF-8611 to U.2 SFF-8639 cables.

How about connecting the other two at Gen4 speeds?

Are there any passive PCIe cards which break out a 8x/16x slot into 2/4 Oculink connectors using bifurcation, which are compatible with Gen4 drives and speeds?

Would using something like this: HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD|Motherboards|ASUS Global
...with two of these: Delock Produkte 62984 M.2 Key M zu U.2 SFF-8639 NVMe Adapter mit 50 cm Kabel
...work at Gen4?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You could also use the M.2 to U.2 adapters with the M.2 slots on the board. You will lose the #2 PCIe slot, but there are plenty more.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
You could also use the M.2 to U.2 adapters with the M.2 slots on the board. You will lose the #2 PCIe slot, but there are plenty more.
Ah, forgot to mention, the M.2 slots are already full.

It would be ideal if there was a passive PCIe 16x card to 4x Oculink adapter that supports Gen4 speeds. Does such a thing exist?

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
Seems to be unavailable to purchase anywhere though, and ships with a half-height slot plate.
try to find some SM retailer and ask for it, it should be available.. and i think it comes with both brackets. and yes, this one will work with motherboard bifurcating.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
the m.2 adapter+those delock cables would work and might be the cheapest alternative until pcie 4.0 breakout boards become more common, you can get a broadcom 9500-8i but thats like 500$+. do you really need that pcie4 speed on all 4 drives? you should still get max IOPS with pcie3.0 for most workloads

2 of these might be cheapest option actually Amazon.com: Ableconn PEXU2-132 NVMe 2.5-inch U.2 (SFF-8639) SSD PCIe x4 Carrier Adapter Card - Support Intel 750 2.5-inch U.2 SFF SSD: Computers & Accessories
or these with cables https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-PEX-OL153-OCuLink-SFF-8612-Adapter/dp/B08DR17F5F?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Reactions: ectoplasmosis

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
Great, thanks for the tips!

Gen4 speeds are essential; this is to go into a storage server for ingesting uncompressed real-time video, so sequential performance is critical and I already own 8x Samsung PM9A3 Gen4 drives.

Cost is secondary to being able to bifurcate a single 16-lane slot into 4x 4-lane NVMe channels.

Going to look into a Broadcom P411W-32P as well as the Supermicro card.

Reactions: UhClem

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
... Gen4 speeds are essential; this is to go into a storage server for ingesting uncompressed real-time video, so sequential performance is critical and I already own 8x Samsung PM9A3 Gen4 drives.
Are you sure? [ie, essential?] Exactly which video format are you slurping?
[It's important to know your needs; then you can plan/allow for future/expansion. Nevertheless, since you already have both a Gen4 host & Gen4 targets, it IS highly desirable to get the full benefits.]
Cost is secondary to being able to bifurcate a single 16-lane slot into 4x 4-lane NVMe channels.

Going to look into a Broadcom P411W-32P as well as the Supermicro card.
The beauty of a passive (*furcation) solution, in addition to the low cost, is that, unlike switches and retimers, it is not definitively limited to a specific PCIe Gen level (or lower). There is a strong likelihood that a simple and straightforward 4x-x4 SFF8643 (NVMe) adapter like [Link] combined with standard SFF8643-SFF8639 cables will work just fine for you (delivering full Gen4). For inspiration ( :)), see https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/pcie3-nvme-cable-length-connections-retimer.33659/. Give it a shot--only ~$35 [I've bought (different cards) from Ceacent/Ali twice--work great--delivery ~14 days.]

[Moving from the ghetto to a private estate ...] That Broadcom P411W-32P card looks very nice. Thanks for pointing it out. PCIe switches are cool!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If you weren't aware, the PM9A3 is not really any faster than PCIe 3.0 devices when it comes to sequential writes. It's rated for 3.5GB/s. Plenty of high end PCIe 3.0 ones are similar (Intel P4610 is 3.2GB/s for example).

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
If you weren't aware, the PM9A3 is not really any faster than PCIe 3.0 devices when it comes to sequential writes. It's rated for 3.5GB/s. Plenty of high end PCIe 3.0 ones are similar (Intel P4610 is 3.2GB/s for example).
I appreciate this, but this storage server will be hammered with sustained sequential reads also, and this at Gen4, at least theoretically, should be much faster than Gen3. Besides, all components support Gen4, so why not?

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
Are you sure? [ie, essential?] Exactly which video format are you slurping?
We are ingesting multiple streams of ProRes 4:4:4:4 at 4K50 (~500MB/s per stream), plus tons of NDI and potentially SMPTE 2110 in the future (1.5GB/s per stream), along with simultaneously serving the content to editors over 10Gbit SFP+ Thunderbolt 3 adapters.

I'll get hold of a few cheap & cheerful bifurcation breakout cards and see what happens while I wait for something like the Supermicro adapter to become available.

Reactions: nasi

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Check out this thread; it links to several passive options:

Keep in mind that your cable/trace length limits are much shorter on Gen4, and that includes the length of traces on the MB to get to the CPU, so retimer-based options may be required depending on your physical system layout. Unlike a switch chip, a retimer adds much less latency and I believe is lower power, so if your motherboard supports bifurcation, and you need some extra length, that's the way to go.

Last edited: