Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Wondering if I could pick the brains of all of you.

I previously had the qsfp port working with a breakout cable to a few hosts. I moved my setup and powered everything back on, but the ports won't come up. Tried rebooting both the hosts and switches.

The front 10gbs are fine using the same branded cables but single DACs to the same NICs.

Any ideas?
Maybe you didn't save your running configuration and whatever settings on those ports wasn't applied.

You didn't insert the cables all the way. Try another port.

If you have a QSFP+ to QSFP+ cable, connect the cable to both broken out ports to see if it gets a link. Check using something like show interface description.

shank

Jul 19, 2020
Maybe you didn't save your running configuration and whatever settings on those ports wasn't applied.

You didn't insert the cables all the way. Try another port.

If you have a QSFP+ to QSFP+ cable, connect the cable to both broken out ports to see if it gets a link. Check using something like show interface description.
Config was definitely saved as it had been reloaded lots of times before moving it.

They clipped in, but I'll check again and try the qsfp to qsfp of I have one.

Is there any specific config required on these ports?

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Wondering if I could pick the brains of all of you.

I previously had the qsfp port working with a breakout cable to a few hosts. I moved my setup and powered everything back on, but the ports won't come up. Tried rebooting both the hosts and switches.

The front 10gbs are fine using the same branded cables but single DACs to the same NICs.

Any ideas?
Following because I'm having the same issue, except that mine never worked in the first place. At first I assumed I got a bad cable, but now I've tried with 3 different QSFP->4xSFP+ DAC cables (1 Dell branded Amphenol, 2 10GTek), and none of them will link up.

I do see further up in the thread that someone managed to physically break their QSFP ports, and I suppose it's possible that happened to mine before I bought it on Ebay. But I can see the cables with 'show media' so I don't think that's too likely

The only slightly odd thing I notice is that show media lists the cables as 40gbe, rather than 10gbe breakouts (as I've seen some people's listings in this thread show). Is this normal, or could it possibly be that the cables misidentifying is causing the switch to not try to link up?

telnet@6610-livingroom>show media ethernet 1/2/7
Port 1/2/7:Type : 40GBASE-Passive Copper
Vendor Name: 10Gtek Serial Num: Q191100300070 Revision: 01
telnet@6610-livingroom>show media ethernet 1/2/2
Port 1/2/2:Type : 40GBASE-Passive Copper
Vendor Name: Amphenol Serial Num: CN04Y04W7AG40ME Revision: A

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The only slightly odd thing I notice is that show media lists the cables as 40gbe, rather than 10gbe breakouts (as I've seen some people's listings in this thread show). Is this normal, or could it possibly be that the cables misidentifying is causing the switch to not try to link up?
That's normal.

Code:
ICX6610-48P Router(config)#sh interfaces brief eth 1/2/1 to 1/3/8

Port       Link    State   Dupl Speed Trunk Tag Pvid Pri MAC             Name
1/2/1      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa77
1/2/2      Up      Forward Full 10G   None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa78
1/2/3      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa79
1/2/4      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa7a
1/2/5      Up      Forward Full 10G   None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa7b
1/2/6      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa7c
1/2/7      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa7d
1/2/8      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa7e
1/2/9      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa7f
1/2/10     Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa80
1/3/1      Up      Blocked Full 10G   None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa81
1/3/2      Up      Forward Full 10G   None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa82
1/3/3      Up      Blocked Full 10G   None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa83
1/3/4      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa84
1/3/5      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa85
1/3/6      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa86
1/3/7      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa87
1/3/8      Down    None    None None  None  No  1    0   748e.f8fa.fa88
ICX6610-48P Router(config)#sh media ethernet 1/2/2
Port   1/2/2:Type  : 40G QSFP Module
Vendor Name: Molex            Serial Num: ...             Revision:
ICX6610-48P Router(config)#sh media ethernet 1/2/3
Port   1/2/3:Type  : 40G QSFP Module
Vendor Name: Molex            Serial Num: ...             Revision:
ICX6610-48P Router(config)#sh media ethernet 1/3/1
Port   1/3/1: Type  : 10GE  Passive Twinax  2m (SFP +) (Not supported)
             Vendor: Molex              Version: ...
             Part# : ...                Serial#: ...
ICX6610-48P Router(config)#sh media ethernet 1/3/2
Port   1/3/2: Type  : 10GE  Passive Twinax  2m (SFP +) (Not supported)
             Vendor: Mellanox           Version: ...
             Part# : ...                Serial#: ...
ICX6610-48P Router(config)#

Reactions: NateS

BecauseScience

Feb 3, 2016
Your problem is caused by Windows 10 associating a new network connection to the public profile. You can modify/create firewall rules for the tftp application so it applies across domain, private, and public profiles or reconfigure W10 to default all new network connections to a specific profile. It is a pain. The setting reverts to public when a switch reboots because the link drops and W10 thinks it's a new connection. Maybe it doesn't happen in all cases but I've experienced it across multiple switch vendors.

It may seem preferable to disable the firewall altogether but defense in depth is a good thing. I've done that before but only when I used Windows 2003 Server as a workstation.
I screwed around with firewall rules trying to get it to work but I don't actually understand the public/private thing or much of anything about modern Window networking. I had hoped that disabling the Windows Defender Firewall sliders in some preference page would do the trick but you never know with Windows. It often thinks it knows better than you. The hoop jumping you have to go through to install unsigned drivers is bananas. I need to reboot for this? In 2021... Really???

klui

Feb 3, 2019

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
So I have a dumb question:

I picked up an ICX7150-C12P. I'm not doing anything fancy with it, I just needed POE + at least one SFP+ port + complete silence, so I followed Fodeesha's startup guide but then flashed the latest L2 firmware on it. The license from Fodeesha's instructions still seems to be there and fine.

I need one port to take a 1g SFP module (my firewall only has 1g SFP), so I picked up some cheap Ipolex optics from Amazon, but I can't seem to get them to work. My troubleshooting:
- If I take both Ipolex SFP optics and put them in my Mikrotik CSS326, it shows good link (at 1g)
- The Ipolex optics seem to work in my other SFP devices, I haven't tried anything else SFP+
- If I take one optic and put it in the ICX7150, with the other end of the fiber to the Ipolex in the Mikrotik, I get no link.
- If I replace both of them with random Finisar SFP+ optics (one in the ICX and one in Mikrotik), same fiber, I get good 10g link at both ends, so the ICX ports aren't disabled or anything.

Is there some trick / extra step to using an SFP optic in an ICX7150? From Googling this looks like it should just work? Is this just optics pickyness? If the later, anyone have a link to a cheap SFP optic known to work with these devices?

(Right now I've got a SFP-1gbe media converter plugged into an Ethernet port on the ICX leaving both SFP+ ports available, which is probably a better idea, but I'd still like to understand the problem better.)

dennisp

Apr 1, 2021
So I have a dumb question:

I picked up an ICX7150-C12P. I'm not doing anything fancy with it, I just needed POE + at least one SFP+ port + complete silence, so I followed Fodeesha's startup guide but then flashed the latest L2 firmware on it. The license from Fodeesha's instructions still seems to be there and fine.

I need one port to take a 1g SFP module (my firewall only has 1g SFP), so I picked up some cheap Ipolex optics from Amazon, but I can't seem to get them to work. My troubleshooting:
- If I take both Ipolex SFP optics and put them in my Mikrotik CSS326, it shows good link (at 1g)
- The Ipolex optics seem to work in my other SFP devices, I haven't tried anything else SFP+
- If I take one optic and put it in the ICX7150, with the other end of the fiber to the Ipolex in the Mikrotik, I get no link.
- If I replace both of them with random Finisar SFP+ optics (one in the ICX and one in Mikrotik), same fiber, I get good 10g link at both ends, so the ICX ports aren't disabled or anything.

Is there some trick / extra step to using an SFP optic in an ICX7150? From Googling this looks like it should just work? Is this just optics pickyness? If the later, anyone have a link to a cheap SFP optic known to work with these devices?

(Right now I've got a SFP-1gbe media converter plugged into an Ethernet port on the ICX leaving both SFP+ ports available, which is probably a better idea, but I'd still like to understand the problem better.)
Try setting the speed manually to 1gb

morphector

Jun 13, 2021
Got a 6450 and wad tired of the stock fans so I bought the cheapest 3 pins 40mm fan on aliexpress....

Didnt have to mess around with the pins as the stock one arent standart....Just had to bend the pins a bit than insert the 3 pins connector the wrong way....

now its silent...

shank

Jul 19, 2020
Ok, tried the check media command and I can only see media attached to 1/2/1 and none of the other ports.
1623666251347.png

klui

Feb 3, 2019
It's possible your connectors are dirty/marginal. Hopefully not damaged. Physically inspect for damage and clean them.

shank

Jul 19, 2020
It's possible your connectors are dirty/marginal. Hopefully not damaged. Physically inspect for damage and clean them.
Had a look and cleaned them out, one switch and cable are completely new. Tried swapping them all around and cleaning, no good.
Also tried jumping into ESXi and forcing the duplex and speed to see if it would come up, no good there either.

dbudd424

Jun 4, 2021
So my Brocade ICX 6610 48P showed up the other day. Bought from ses_global_electronics on Ebay. They left the asset tag on it and it was looks like it came out of a Hospital/Clinic in San Diego. One of the mounting ears are bent but I had already picked up some rails for it since some reported this switch was a bit on the heavy side. Came with two delta power supplies Rev. A. Also came with 1 Brocade 10ge SR transceiver.

I was kind of shocked at how quite this is with Rev. A since some reported it was louder then the other rev. This will be replacing my current Dell PowerConnect 6248 which seems way louder then the ICX 6610 but we will see once its loaded up.

Booted up and configured without any issues thanks to Fohdessha guide. all front SFP+ ports are showing up as 10gb.

Picked up a NetApp 112-00177 sas cable for a direct 40gb connect to my unraid box.

Now I just need to work on getting 10gb spf+ cards to fill out the rest of my servers and my personal computer.

Getting closer to finally being able to upgrade my ISP to 2gb.

IMG_20210615_093853.jpg

Reactions: itronin

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
Following because I'm having the same issue, except that mine never worked in the first place. At first I assumed I got a bad cable, but now I've tried with 3 different QSFP->4xSFP+ DAC cables (1 Dell branded Amphenol, 2 10GTek), and none of them will link up.

I do see further up in the thread that someone managed to physically break their QSFP ports, and I suppose it's possible that happened to mine before I bought it on Ebay. But I can see the cables with 'show media' so I don't think that's too likely

telnet@6610-livingroom>show media ethernet 1/2/7
Port 1/2/7:Type : 40GBASE-Passive Copper
Vendor Name: 10Gtek Serial Num: Q191100300070 Revision: 01
telnet@6610-livingroom>show media ethernet 1/2/2
Port 1/2/2:Type : 40GBASE-Passive Copper
Vendor Name: Amphenol Serial Num: CN04Y04W7AG40ME Revision: A
OIn my 6610 it doesn't see 2 of the ports anymore of the 4 ports on the breakout cables. I've changed cables and even swapped DAC and Active FC breakouts, same 2 ports don't come up. Mind you, those ports had worked for a bit and then went down after a few days to never come back up again. Still haven't figured it out, even reboots don't change it.

JacobRhea

Feb 1, 2019
its a very basic setup, if you follow the vyos documentation. configure your interfaces, add a static route, add NAT rules, configure firewall. and any other services you want or need. i've been running vyos as my main fw/router for 4+ years now after growing weary of pfsense and its complete lack of a CLI, missing support for VLANs on Xenserver, etc.
or i can send you my basic config if that would help get you started.
Would you mind posting or PMing me the basic config you're running on VyOS? I'm working on getting it setup myself and would love to have something to reference.