Protectli like with 10G interfaces?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Whoa that OPNsense device is so cool (no pun intended), it deserves its own thread.

Sorry, the only similar device that I know of, is Supermicro's E302-9D.
But I am guessing that since you are mentioning Protectli and Qotom, that you are looking for something much cheaper?

Reactions: tjk

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Looks like this is the board Netboard A20 – Deciso B.V. – Securing Networks™ but they don't (yet) do single piece sales. Or at least without opnsense bundled in since it is the same shop behind the scenes.
Looks like it was custom build for them based on their joint PR from some other places

Last edited:

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Whoa that OPNsense device is so cool (no pun intended), it deserves its own thread.

Sorry, the only similar device that I know of, is Supermicro's E302-9D.
But I am guessing that since you are mentioning Protectli and Qotom, that you are looking for something much cheaper?
Not really, cost isn't the issue - just like the small form factor and low power draw. We typically use rack mounted servers for firewalls, the fanless stuff is intriguing to me for CPE type stuff or even DC stuff that we don't need a full server. One of these I think pulls 60W at 100% load.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Looks like this is the board Netboard A20 – Deciso B.V. – Securing Networks™ but they don't (yet) do single piece sales. Or at least without opnsense bundled in since it is the same shop behind the scenes.
Looks like it was custom build for them based on their joint PR from some other places

I have created a thread for this device, so we don't derail @tjk's thread completely :)

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Not really, cost isn't the issue - just like the small form factor and low power draw. We typically use rack mounted servers for firewalls, the fanless stuff is intriguing to me for CPE type stuff or even DC stuff that we don't need a full server. One of these I think pulls 60W at 100% load.
Fair enough, to be honest I am not a fan of using cheap chinese made/designed devices from manufacturers like Qotom (and TBH i put Protectli under the same category, though I am not quite sure of their origins, at least some are made in China) as firewalls.
It is a security device that controls what (and who) accesses your network, so I prefer to use something I trust a little more.

Of course that limits what you can use, especially when you want devices as opposed to building using "standard" components like ITX boards etc.
Speaking of which I hope that PC-engines decides to update their lineup sometime soon, the APU2 boards are nice and all, but compared to other devices they are getting a bit dated.