From non-raid to raid 1 - Intel/2012R2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

politby

Dec 31, 2013
I have a Samsung Pro 840 SSD running as a system drive on a SM X9SRL-F motherboard. I would like to add a second SSD and change into a raid-1 array for the OS.

I tried setting the SATA ports to RAID and created an array using the Intel utility. I then restored a system image to the array, which was no problem using the Windows Image restore.

But Windows refuses to boot from the array. It BSODs, presumably because it cannot load the storage driver. I did install all the Intel drivers before I created the image.

Strange that restoring to the array works fine, but not booting from it?

Is there a way to get this to work?

Terabitdan

Jun 21, 2013
Redford, MI
Which ports on the motherboard is your RAID array connected to? To change to/from RAID I always install a temporary controller or move the boot disk to another controller thats already installed. Change the boot order and booting off the other controller. Then switch to/from RAID in the BIOS and boot again without moving the boot disk. Windows will install the correct driver on boot or install your driver of choice. Then, finally after device manager shows the controller in your desired state and working fine, shut down, put the drive on the controller and change the boot order once more. Even though you installed the drivers in windows the controller probably isn't using the correct driver and the windows boot configuration is still utilizing the non-RAID driver.

In your case the SCU ports may work. Try connecting the array to the SCU ports and booting off that. After booting to the SCU ports with the RAID array, then let windows instal the RAID driver for the SATA ports. If you dont have spare ports just use any add-in card for the driver switch.

Dan

Reading@Work

Jul 31, 2014
You didn't mention which version of Windows you're trying to boot up.

There's a couple discussions that cover the switch. One of them sounds like a situation similar to your own. IT's a wall of text for an explanation but perhaps you can glean something from the advice:

DZ68DB: change AHCI to RAID after OS install | Intel Communities
Tomas Mascinskas has a very long post that gives some tips for switching from single SSD to a dual SSD setup. I'm not eager to post the entire quote in here. Briefly he suggests the following (I'm paraphrasing)
  • Change BIOS settings back to AHCI from RAID. Boot from single disk in Windows, edit the Registry. Change the following under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
    • atapi Start = 3 (THIS IS IDE, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
    • iaStor = 3 (THIS IS INTEL RAID, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
    • iastorV Start = 0 (THIS IS WINDOWS RAID, HAVE IT ON 0 SINCE 0 MEANS ON)
    • intelide Start = 3 (THIS IS IDE, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
    • msahci Start = 3 (THIS IS AHCI, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
    • pciide = 3 (THIS IS IDE, HAVE IT ON 3 SINCE 3 MEANS OFF)
How to enable RAID on intel chipset on existing windows 7 x64 - Configuration - Windows 7
User Wolku mentioned this method to adjust the registry settings:
problem is that I want to migrate from single AHCI drive (system ) to two drives RAID 0 . So at first I have to create a backup of my system hdd . next I have to create raid 0 in ICH10 raid bios , next recover my disk image into this RAID (2 disks) and after that I can run my system.
Finally I did it using Microsoft_Diagnostics_and_Recovery_Toolset_(_MSDaRT_)_ERD5-6.5 . After creating RAID and recover backup from image. I boot my computer from this MSDART cd. next I run tools which are included in this CD and run Regedit.

In the Windows\System32\Drivers folder is a file called iaStorV.sys installed by OS by default.

using registry editor

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStorV

Change REG_DWORD "Start" from 3 to 0

after restart computer should boot without BSOD .
It works for me perfectly .

solution described in this link
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?s=69448c6...

but the main problem was how to get access to windows registry . MSDaRT resolved this problem.​