IBM ServeRAID M5110 to LSI 9270-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jibesh101

Dec 8, 2012
Texas
So I bought a LSI 9270-8i with 1GB cache and BBU off eBay but what I got was a IBM ServeRAID M5110 card with 1GB cache and BBU.

Before I try to return this, is it possible to cross flash the M5110 to a LSI 9270-8i? If so, are there any instructions posted I can use?

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The other question is if you were expecting a warranty or ascribed value to it being a LSI card versus a IBM card.

jibesh101

Dec 8, 2012
Texas
The other question is if you were expecting a warranty or ascribed value to it being a LSI card versus a IBM card.
Yea that too. I'm submitting an eBay resolution case to get it returned.

What I find odd is that card does not seem to support RAID 6 or 60.

Does the M5110 or the 9270-8i need an additional license to make RAID 6 work?

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Some of the OEM branded cards lock certain features for a cost like raid 6 yes.

Check how it was advertised some of them are not clear what version of the card it is and may mention somewhere is actually an IBM version.

Personally i have 6 assorted LSI 9260/1 cards and 2 of them were IBM cross flashed to LSI firmware. One died and the other one has a habit of acting up so much i moved it to my desktop rather than risk it in my server. Any new cards im paying the extra to get a genuine LSI personally.

Edit: Forgot to add the massive difference in boot time on the IBM cards. They take 2 to 3 times as long to load. I used to take smoko's waiting for a node to boot with the IBM version.

Last edited: