New Forum Category idea ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The complete lack of sarcasm on my part doesn't translate very well through txt, so rest assured, I am being serious.

Any chance of a 'Home User', 'Poor Kid', 'Home Server' or other area to separate some of the less interesting (for example...not pointing fingers).... "still using LGA1366" and "10Gbe NICs are new to me" posts away from the cutting edge "Dual AMD Epyc seems fun" and "40Gbe Networking is slow" etc hardware sections that seem to fit together like an elevator in an outhouse ? (ROADHOUSE !).

Unfortunately I don't have a 'Lab'. I am just looking to Serve The Home...... My Home.

Just an idea. Love the Forum otherwise.
I always love an opportunity to flex my 32nm Xeons against all of that 7nm stuff looking for a shot at the title.

Reactions: JGC

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I am just looking to Serve The Home......
STH may say “home” in the title which confuses some. Home is actually a reference to a users /home/ directory in Linux. We scale from those looking to have in home or office servers all the way up to some of the largest hosting organizations in the world. This site is dedicated to helping professionals and enthusiasts stay atop of the latest server, storage and networking trends.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Post up those questions in existing forums not a problem.
Sure people may suggest you upgrade, but you can tell them you don't want to and stay on track with your questions ;)

Reactions: Patrick

kapone

May 23, 2015
The only thing worse than being the smelly kid, is being the poor kid....lol
Without getting into the social aspects of this... :)

STH probably has the most mature community when it comes to hardware and software.

Reddit - The typical answers are - BAM! got it working, and nothing else after that. "I'm rolling with xxx" in response to a completely different question. "Got it work somehow...and it works great!" and then the poster supposedly becomes an expert on that topic. You get my drift...

Spiceworks - I don't even go there. There's like 10 posters who try to answer every question, and then the vendors jump in and go "You know we offer..."

Hardforum - Used to be good in certain categories, but the quality and quantity of content has become pretty bad over the years.

Hackernews - Is actually about as good as STH in terms of maturity, but they just don't have a lot of content.

What else is left? I'm sure I'm missing a few.

My point is, in general the people here are polite (for the most part), willing and able to answer questions (and very deep questions at that), and typically don't give two hoots, whether you have a 42U rack full of servers, or just a Mac-mini as the only thing you're trying to work with. :)

That being said (and this is mostly universal), the way to engage posters and get your questions answered is not to be...well...stupid/arrogant/combative/.... That will almost always turn off people.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you go back into the archives at STH, we have done a decent amount of used gear (C6100's come to mind.) Now I am just cheap, but we have too much hardware which is the other issue. Our Project TinyMiniMicro series is focusing on newer generation nodes now, but I think that is a great example of looking at lower-cost older hardware.

Perhaps my point is, people may say things like "hey those old Xeons do not have AES-NI which is important these days." That is good feedback, but I assume many people on the forums are discussing what they have acess to and that is often older hardware at home. Indeed, the hardware we will see starting in 2022 is going to be very difficult to bring into home networks just because power consumption is going up. That will push home hardware to relatively older generations.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
If you go back into the archives at STH, we have done a decent amount of used gear (C6100's come to mind.) Now I am just cheap, but we have too much hardware which is the other issue. Our Project TinyMiniMicro series is focusing on newer generation nodes now, but I think that is a great example of looking at lower-cost older hardware.

Perhaps my point is, people may say things like "hey those old Xeons do not have AES-NI which is important these days." That is good feedback, but I assume many people on the forums are discussing what they have acess to and that is often older hardware at home. Indeed, the hardware we will see starting in 2022 is going to be very difficult to bring into home networks just because power consumption is going up. That will push home hardware to relatively older generations.
ServeTheHomefromHome (STHFH)?

*ugh* - the 2021/2022 microchip shortage is gonna make it difficult to source power efficient stuff for home lab use like the Ryzen Embedded V2000s...or push up demands for TinyMiniMicro machines for building out virt nodes...

Reactions: Patrick