UK 4x Supermicro X9 Twin-node 2U servers. Seeking help on pricing for sale as lot-of-4.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hello!

I have a 4x LOT (I want to sell all at once) of Supermicro SuperServer 6027TR-DTRF 2U twin-node CTO servers. They have no CPU, storage, or RAM, but they do have heatsinks. They have been professionally refurbished, and I bought them for about 420 GBP (600 USD) each in 2018. I am selling them, unused since I got them, due to many unforeseen setbacks for a project. I am based in London, UK.

I am thinking about 800 GBP for the lot of 4, plus the cost of a courier who specializes in heavy items or freight.

Does this sound reasonable?

I'm trying to sell this and market it as an instant basis for an HA hyperconverged cluster (this was my plan).

I'd be happy to send them overseas but this could be very expensive. I'm expecting I'd have the best chance of selling them to a UK resident.

I am very sad to let them go. I had to admit to myself that this project just wasn't meant to be. I have different priorities now too, such as my family and a new job on Monday. And besides, I have other hardware that I'm keeping.

At the time I had planned a 7-node cluster plus one failover, with 6x HDD's per node and hyperconverged clustering.

I also have enough CPU's, RAM, SSD's, and HDD's to fill it
, so I can include a link to these once they have been itemized.

The main features are:
  • Each 2U chassis has TWO nodes.
  • Each node is a dual-CPU server, using E5-2600 v1 or v2 CPU's, etc (see Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 2U | 6027TR-DTRF ).
  • Each node can fit 3 cards, which is enough for a really nice cluster.
  • The 6x HDD's in each node mean that there's enough front-loading space for a couple of SSD per node. This means that a lot of fast (at least 2x SSD's, etc) storage can be installed per node while retaining high capacity in each node (with 4x HDD's per node).
It's already packed and ready to go. I do have photos and am going to post them. There are some good photos at the official Supermicro site for this item.

The main question: Does my proposed price sound reasonable? 800 GBP for the lot, plus heavy item courier for UK-wide shipping.

Reactions: ecosse and Samir

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Its a good deal fella IMHO even though its only v1/v2 support. if I wasn't trying to downscale I'd be all over this. I'm still tempted.... must resist!

Reactions: ullbeking and Samir

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
can it be extended to 10\40 gb network per node, and lsi unraid card?
Yes, absolutely. In fact, I was planning on doing this with ConnectX-3 dual 1 GbE (or 10 GbE) Ethernet and 40 Gb/s Infiniband HCA cards.

The way I had planned my cluster was the Ethernet would be used for connect all machines to each other and the WAN via the main switch, and the 40 Gbps IB (or Ethernet if you wish) could be used to create the clustering topology.

Last edited:

iliak

Oct 2, 2018
i could not find information for compatible configuration to lsi in IT mode,
what cards cables are needed to make it work

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I was planning to use ConnnectX-3. If you search my name on these forums you will find a lot of information about this.

iliak

Oct 2, 2018
The network part is simple mellanox cx3 are just plug an play (some times i need to change the mode from 56 to 40GEthernet)

My question regards the LSI UNRAID card, i searched the supermicro website and did not found what lsi cards work in this motherboard and what cable needed to connect them.

before i consider to order i want to make sure i can order all the other parts ( in my country most items are not easy cheap to get)