SuperMicro CSE-825 chassis and newer Supermicro motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
I got a 2011 setup on my CSE-825 chassis and I'm thinking about replacing these parts and get a H11DSi motherboard to build my Epyc server.

Has anyone tried using this chassis or any other older models with newer motherboard? If yes, how did it go?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Totally depends on the age (revision) of your chassis, but I reused lots of chassis (including the 825) and usually its no problem.

Had once a rivet that caused a short so had to tape it off (on a 836) iirc, and sometimes you miss one, but else...
Just make sure to map out the rivets and to be sure to remove all old ones

Cant speak for H11 though (ie whether that has different layout)

Reactions: hakabe

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
Totally depends on the age (revision) of your chassis, but I reused lots of chassis (including the 825) and usually its no problem.

Had once a rivet that caused a short so had to tape it off (on a 836) iirc, and sometimes you miss one, but else...
Just make sure to map out the rivets and to be sure to remove all old ones

Cant speak for H11 though (ie whether that has different layout)
Thanks for the input! I see often full chassis + motherboard setups going lower than the actual motherboard on eBay. Quite clever way to get free chassis if you have the audience for the hardware lol. Paid 240€ incl. shipping for the chassis and x9dri-ln4f+ with dual PSUs (and 1x overpriced 2609 CPU and 1x4GB stick that "had" to put in to the configuration).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Wouldnt call one missing standoff 'not working'...

Or did I miss something in the other thread?

Less problematic to have one missing than having some permanently mounted ones too much as some chassis have

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I believe Supermicro calls the chassis/motherboard revision the "K" revision that has the weird offset. They started around the X8 series but it was a mixed set.

Look at the chassis specs for the "K" revisions requirement. If it's not stated, then it should be fine as the "K" requirement means there's no place to put the standoff in the odd-location. (non-"K" only is good, "K" only means only newer motherboards)

Also, look at your motherboard for the "K" revision requirement as well. Most newer boards (X9 and up) are all K if I recall anyways. X8 series were the mixed series IIRC.

Honestly, it's been 5+ years since I dealt with the Ks. My brain could be fried.