SOLD: [FS] [Los Angeles, CA] Dell CS24-SC Servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
Sold

Hi everyone, I have a ton of Dell CS24-SC servers that have just been decommissioned and need a new home. These servers are perfect for beginner learners looking for a cheap server.

Dual Intel Xeon L5420s
16GB DDR2
Rails Included
No Drives
$60 each

Dual Intel Xeon L5420s
24GB DDR2
Rails Included
No Drives
$75 each

(or take all 16 for $800 obo!)

Due to the age of these servers, shipping is not really a viable option, thus local pickup is available in LA County (zip code 91006).

I am also open to offers on a single unit or multiple quantities. Due to local pickup, payment methods such as Cash, Zelle, or Venmo are preferred. If you are interested, please PM me! Thanks!

*Supermicro servers in the picture are not for sale, only Dell.

IMG_0709 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yep, very nice beginner servers. I'm sure someone can chime in if Proxmox works on it, but I know regular 3.5 sas drives work great (up to 2TB only I think as I haven't tested the limit, but just found that from research).

Reactions: JCH

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
Yep, very nice beginner servers. I'm sure someone can chime in if Proxmox works on it, but I know regular 3.5 sas drives work great (up to 2TB only I think as I haven't tested the limit, but just found that from research).
Yes exactly, I'm not entirely sure if it works with Proxmox (it should.. but I can't guarantee it). These servers were previously datacenter servers rented as IaaS products but they're all in storage now since they've been decommissioned due to upgrades. I don't want to send these off to an e-waste center just yet as they've still got some potential, especially to those who want to get into the homelab/server scene. I'm also totally willing to go lower on the price to anyone interested, I'm just a PM away. :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Yes exactly, I'm not entirely sure if it works with Proxmox (it should.. but I can't guarantee it). These servers were previously datacenter servers rented as IaaS products but they're all in storage now since they've been decommissioned due to upgrades. I don't want to send these off to an e-waste center just yet as they've still got some potential, especially to those who want to get into the homelab/server scene. I'm also totally willing to go lower on the price to anyone interested, I'm just a PM away. :)
If I wasn't prepping for an extended work trip, I would slap some drives in mine and try loading Proxmox on it to confirm, but they will run linux live cds without an issue as that's as far as I got with mine before 'life' got in the way of 'play'. :)

These definitely do have a lot of potential for those that want real server hardware to learn on. Be sure to post this on reddit homelabsales as it seems there's always some genius teenaged kid that doesn't have enough allowance to buy a 'normal' older server that would love to have something like this. :) Kudos to you for giving these working servers a chance at living on!

Reactions: JCH

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
If I wasn't prepping for an extended work trip, I would slap some drives in mine and try loading Proxmox on it to confirm, but they will run linux live cds without an issue as that's as far as I got with mine before 'life' got in the way of 'play'. :)

These definitely do have a lot of potential for those that want real server hardware to learn on. Be sure to post this on reddit homelabsales as it seems there's always some genius teenaged kid that doesn't have enough allowance to buy a 'normal' older server that would love to have something like this. :) Kudos to you for giving these working servers a chance at living on!
Great idea, I don't use Reddit myself but I think homelabsales is a great place to post these on. I'm now a little curious and determined to figure out whether or not Proxmox works on these, sometime today I'm gonna pull one out of storage and give it a shot, and I'll update this thread thereafter. :p

Thanks!

Reactions: DV_Amon and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Great idea, I don't use Reddit myself but I think homelabsales is a great place to post these on. I'm now a little curious and determined to figure out whether or not Proxmox works on these, sometime today I'm gonna pull one out of storage and give it a shot, and I'll update this thread thereafter. :p

Thanks!
The homelabsales sub is quite active. If I run across anyone looking for a starter server there, I'll point them this way. :)

That would be awesome if you try out proxmox! And if the most recent version doesn't work, try v5 as I know it still worked on lga771 hardware.

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
The homelabsales sub is quite active. If I run across anyone looking for a starter server there, I'll point them this way. :)

That would be awesome if you try out proxmox! And if the most recent version doesn't work, try v5 as I know it still worked on lga771 hardware.
Thank you! I was about to try proxmox.. got everything set up and then realized I don't have any VGA-capable monitors on hand nor any adapters. :( looks like I'll have to hold off on that for now.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thank you! I was about to try proxmox.. got everything set up and then realized I don't have any VGA-capable monitors on hand nor any adapters. :( looks like I'll have to hold off on that for now.
I think one of the best finds I ever had was this $5 mag monitor from goodwill that also had speakers. I used it as my 'server monitor' until we had to move and I turned it back in to Goodwill--it probably is living on somewhere else now.

I'd check some local thrift/recyclers/craigslist as these are usually really cheap compared to an adapter. And the good thing is that you can turn around and get your money back really easily. :)

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
I think one of the best finds I ever had was this $5 mag monitor from goodwill that also had speakers. I used it as my 'server monitor' until we had to move and I turned it back in to Goodwill--it probably is living on somewhere else now.

I'd check some local thrift/recyclers/craigslist as these are usually really cheap compared to an adapter. And the good thing is that you can turn around and get your money back really easily. :)
Works flawlessly. :)

• Love