LSI 2308-8i RAID 0 4x256GB Samsung 830 - array missing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mark_T

Apr 23, 2012
I do have a problem withLSI 2308-8i RAID 0 with 4x256GB Samsung 830 array I`m using it only as a cache drive for media editing, and lately, is giving me big headaches. The array disappear randomly. The card is pretty new, with the original bios, no changes were made.
Everything seems to be normal, except this random vanishing behavior.. When the system starts I can see the card, and the virtual drive, I can setup the array with no problems. Everything worked fine for about 2 years.
I changed the SATA cable and the problem is still there. To test a different setup, I created in Windows 2 Raid 0 software arrays using the windows Disk Management tools. To my surprise, after a couple of hours, both Raid0 arrays vanished simultaneously. If I restart the system they are visible again.
In Device Manager, the LSIAdapter, SAS2 2308 Mustang-Storport is looking fine.
I tested the LSI RAID0 setup and I have very poor results. I attached the AS SSD screenshot.

I also have a problem with the Marvell SATA Controller. The drivers are not working properly, and when I try to install the Mervell driver I get a BSOD during the installation. I don`t know if this might be a problem or not. No matter how many combinations I tried to install windows from scratch, the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error is still there. I installed windows from scratch on a 512GB Samsung 830, on a 300GB Western velociraptor, with all the other drives disconnected from the system. That Code 1o error is still there. I don`t know if this might affect the Samsung SSDs or not. I also attached a Device manager screenshot.

My system is: Asus P9X79 WS motherboard, 512GB Samsung 83o as the system drive, the LSI 2308 with the 4xSamsung 830 SSDs, 3 x 2TB + 1 x 3TB Green Western Digital HDDs connected to the motherboard Sata controller, a second LSI 9280-4i4e with 2x3TB Toshiba drives in RAID0 and another 2x 3TB Toshiba HDDs in RAID1, Corsair 750W Power Source.
I updated the motherboard with the last Bios. Even though I`m not happy at all with the Code 10 error in Device manager, I can live with it because I don`t necessarily need the 2 SATA ports.
But the instability of the SSD based array on the LSI 2308 is a serious problem for me.

I`ll be really grateful if can get some guidance where to look. I`m going to buy new power cables for SSDs. Other than that, I don`t know where to look anymore. Is it possible the LSI 2308 to be the culprit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Do you have enough airflow/cooling on the LSI card? I used to see this type of behavior with an Adaptec that overheated.

Reactions: Mark_T

Mark_T

Apr 23, 2012
I think so. I have a really big case, the CPU (i73930K overclocked at 4,3GHz) is water cooled, nVidia Titan which is not overclocked, and 4 x 120mm Case fans (2 for intake and 2 for out-take).

Mark_T

Apr 23, 2012
And the card worked fine for almost 2 years. I added 3 of the case fans 2 months ago when I added the LSI 9280-4i4e. I was very happy with my system so far. But now...
Thanks for the fast reply.

Mark_T

Apr 23, 2012
Something new today: upon boot, when I press Ctrl-C to bring up the LSI Config Utility, nothing happens. It`s just continuing the booting routine, like I didn`t pressed the keys. This is happening now for the first time. I don`t have any problem accessing the WebBios for LSI 9280.
Is it a conflict somewhere, or the LSI 9208-8i card simply doesn`t work properly?

Mark_T

Apr 23, 2012
Do you have enough airflow/cooling on the LSI card? I used to see this type of behavior with an Adaptec that overheated.
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Indeed it was a heat problem. I placed a PCI slot fan there and the problem was gone. I`ll have to modify the case a bit to recover PCI slot I lost.
Again, many thanks for heading me in the right direction.