Docker Networking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koyetsu

Feb 28, 2021
Here is the situation I'm trying to figure out.
I am looking to run Nested DNS on my network.

AD-DNS->Pi-Hole->SteamCache
The AD-DNS is in a VM and I can point it at the pi-hole but I use Synology for my docker for light things.
When I used UnRaid I could pull a network IP to the container but it doesn't appear that I can in Synology.
Without stupid port forwarding is there a way to link pi-hole to steamcache and have the pi-hole next hop be steamcache?

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
steamcache is long deprecated. If you can get docker-compose on your Synology you no longer need pi-hole. See here

Edit: You'd have to set PiHole as the lancache-DNS upstream DNS server and point all clients to the lancache-DNS IP. So maybe not really an ideal config.

Last edited:

koyetsu

Feb 28, 2021
what i'm really trying to figure out is how to have the dockers talk to each other without external IP's i remember reading about setting up a named connection but not sure how to set that up. like i said if i could get the dockers to have LAN IP's instead of 172's or whatever docker ip's that would be easy but i only have 1 port 53 and i don't wanna play skipping ports with multi dns servers. i want the request to hit the ip (EG: 192.168.1.2) Check lancache for game or windows update etc. then roll to pihole then to internet

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Not sure if I understand you fully, but are you talking about macvlan, which basically allow you to give you containers ”real” addresses directly on the lan. I use it without any issues on my synology box.