Supermicro H8DCL-iF crashes randomly with strange kernel messages

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jac

Oct 21, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Are the Hitachi Ultrastars even good to begin with? Before I spit hundreds, I'd like to have feedback from an actual human instead of reading crappy useless websites .... Maybe I post on the Hitachi HDD thread?!
The Hitachi products typically receive a lot of love from enthusiasts. You'll hear some people cry "death star" but that was in the sub 160 GB Deskstar product line and people tend to hang on to their bitter experiences from 7+ years ago.

jac

Oct 21, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Also, you should compare your IPMI version in the BMC to what Supermicro has published on their website for that model of motherboard. I have experienced IPMI issues like you describe in your earlier posts when the motherboard BIOS and BMC firmware are older. I recommend updating the motherboard BIOS first if the BMC is an older version than Supermicro has published.

lpallard

Aug 17, 2013
jac,

will do. I cannot remmeber which IPMI version I have, and which BIOS version I have. I will doucbe check when my replacement PSU comes in which should be days now...