Toshiba announces 12 new 3.5"desktop drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epimetheus

Jan 15, 2013
Question: What's the difference between DT01ACA300 and PH3300U-1I72? Is the latter just the retail version of the former?

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
These have just hit the UK/EU in retail channels, I have ordered a few 2TB's (Put a link up earlier in the great deals section)

Strange why only the 3TB is 5940rpm and the others 5700rpm? Is this a mistake, deliberate or a firmware thing.

As the 3TB was the 5700rpm and the 1-2TB were 5940rpm on the Hitachi drives originally.

Can these be flashed with the Hitachi A10 Firmware so all my drives are the same and does anyone have the original firmware to flash back for warranty purposes or is there a tool for backing that up?

Last edited:

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Retail drives arrive with me today, some pictures below and something strange. 5700rpm vs 5940rpm and slightly different model numbers to the original 5K3000.

These Toshiba's are shipping with firmware "AB0" Also different buffer sizes.

Few questions I have here, as these have different rotational speeds is this going to cause me an issue having them in the same ZFS pool?, is there any way to save the original firmware as I will try flashing Hitachi "A10"

Hitachi 5K3000

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Tried to flash 5K3000 firmware in DOS and won't work as the model number is slightly different, HiTest just crashes on Windows7 32bit (Doesn't run at all on 64bit) Would try XP but I cannot find an XP ISO anywhere even though I have legitimate licenses!! Not sure if someone can legally give me a link to it hosted somewhere?

Spoken to Toshiba today, they don't offer any tech support or even handle returns on these drives as they just re-brand them, Hitachi were very helpful but they don't know themselves a way of "Downgrading" the firmware. Apart from speaking to someone in the HGST factory in China I have no idea what to do here, though help from anyone would be gratefully appreciated and prepared to use a drive as a guinea pig if it helps others as these may be on the market globally at some point and no other drives in consumer class compare in my honest opinion.

Another thought was, does anyone have the model firmware file for a 5K3000 the .bc file as that might allow me to flash the firmware?

Jun 1, 2012
Anyone heard news on when or if Toshiba will be introducing a desktop class 4TB drive? The 4TB enterprise product has been out for awhile now.

BDProductions

Feb 21, 2014
Are people still happy with this Toshiba DT01ABA200 (and others) ?

After losing a Canvio desktop drive with this re-branded Hitachi junk in it, I began searching to see if the problems were widespread, and they appear to be.

In an external case, only turned on for making backups, I never expected to get under 100 hours of use.... and I lost 1.5TB of mostly un-replaceable data.

Some might be recoverable using another drive and a linux rescue distro... and I hope that does work...
I had to pull the drive out of the Canvio box and put it in a 3rd party enclosure to even get Windows to recognize a drive as plugged in, and of course, it now reports needing to be formatted before use... WTF? What happens to these drives? does the Partition table just delete itself? Do track markers migrate on the disk surface?

I was about to buy another, because this one was getting full, when this failure occurred.

(edit) I only moved completed videos to this drive for storage, and stored a large collection of music for a radio station I work for(/edit)

Seems that other than IBM/Hitachi drives, I have never had such bad luck, with the exception of a single Maxtor drive that was half of a mirror in the late 90's...

I happen to have a mostly new Seagate 2TB I can use to try the recovery of the data... I will post my results.

I am still very interested to know how many of you are still having good luck with your DT01ABA(150/200/300) model drives. Is anyone getting a reasonable number of power on hours?

How many bad drives does it take for a successful class suit, I wonder.....

Last edited:

wyluliraven

Nov 6, 2012
Atlanta, GA
More than thrilled with my six DT01ACA300 drives.

However, none of mine were ever built into an external enclosure. In fact, the only people I know who have had issues with this line of drives are people who either de-shelled the external case, or continued to use them as an external drive.

BDProductions

Feb 21, 2014
Thanks for your reply...

I had wondered if the external case had anything to do with it.

(edit) I see your model is a later model ACA instead of ABA, maybe the flaw was fixed in those? (/edit)

Not heat, but a poor USB bridge card...

I got that idea from the drive not showing up in windows suddenly, yet showing up (though as needing a format) in a 3rd party case later.

My initial thought was that the interface usb connector was at fault; I should say my initial hope...

Nice to know you have 6 still in operation.
How long have you been using them, and what kind of load do they see, use wise?

Thanks,
Eric

More than thrilled with my six DT01ACA300 drives.

However, none of mine were ever built into an external enclosure. In fact, the only people I know who have had issues with this line of drives are people who either de-shelled the external case, or continued to use them as an external drive.

Last edited:

lifespeed

May 14, 2011
After losing a Canvio desktop drive with this re-branded Hitachi junk in it, I began searching to see if the problems were widespread, and they appear to be.....
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have 11 of the Hitachi (now Toshiba) 3 TB 5900 RPM drives. Bought them both as bare drives under the Hitachi brand and ripped several out of the Canvio external case. I use them all on a Areca 1680ix16 RAID card.

They have been flawless, the best of all the drives I've used. Some are 2 years old. The RAID array is left on 24/7, but does power down when not being accessed. I record TV to the array, movies, music and critical data as well. The general consensus on these drives is they are the best bang for the buck, cool-running and reliable. I have no idea about their use with that external case and USB interface, however.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Been very pleased with these drives. The retail boxes come with 3 years. Though I have not needed to service any. My local microcenter is selling these at a great price so i recently added more to the pool.

+1 here on an excellent performing/value play for cold storage and NAS.