New uATX Avoton? A1SAM-2750F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hjfr

Nov 21, 2013
France
Nice Avoton MB.
More PCI-E and standard DIMM are positive. But it seems that USB 3 is no longer proprosed. Strange.
Any idea of price and availability ?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Although both slots are physically x8, one of them is only wired x4. So you wouldn't really get a good performance setup with and HBA and 10Gbe. With the HBA in the x4 slot, and as long as you are using spinny disks, it could still be OK for 12 drives - take 4 drives to the onboard SATA and 8 to the HBA and you probably wont saturate the PCIe very often.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
With x8 and x4 slots you wouldn't really get a good performance setup with an HBA (normally x8) and 10Gbe (definitely needs x8). With the HBA in the x4 slot, and as long as you are using spinny disks, it could still be OK for 12 drives - take 4 drives to the onboard SATA and 8 to the HBA and you probably wont saturate the PCIe very often.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
With x8 and x4 slots you wouldn't really get a good performance setup with an HBA (normally x8) and 10Gbe (definitely needs x8). With the HBA in the x4 slot, and as long as you are using spinny disks, it could still be OK for 12 drives - take 4 drives to the onboard SATA and 8 to the HBA and you probably wont saturate the PCIe very often.
Exactly. I'm thinking fast networking on the x8 slot, an HBA with eight drives on the x4, four drives on the motherboard 3G SATA ports, and two SSD cache drives on the two motherboard 6G SATA ports. That's 12 large drives plus two cache drives and more networking that you really need.

Actually, right now I'm good with my HP DL180 G6, which looks pretty similar except that it has four cache drives... and was probably even cheaper. None the less, I still think Avoton would make a great higher-end commercial NAS - are you listening Synology?

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I brought this up with Patrick earlier today, but I wonder how much power the 8x can handle. It is open back so I wonder if it is spec'd like a 16x slot with 75W or just 25W like a regular 8x slot.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Supermicro has this coming Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5018A-MHN4 and looking at downsizing my storage host into one of those as the beast I have now is a bit too noisy and power hungry for fulltime use right now.
This is a great configuration for this board. 1U, 4 hotswaps and a Gold-level PSU. It should run the fans nice and slow (quiet - I'm running the mITX Avoton board in this same chassis and it is very quiet).

One thing does seem odd. I think in the SX813-MTQ chassis it is the x4 slot on the uATX Avoton/Rangerley boards is the one that will line up right for the riser - not the x8 slot. Seems like it would be a lot more valuable if it was the x8 slot. Maybe somebody could check and I hope I'm wrong, but this makes having the x8 slot almost useless and you really want the x8 for any fast IO (IB, 10Gbe or an external-facing HBA)

Last edited: