Samsung NVMe drivers for MS Windows Server 2016 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LaMerk

Jun 13, 2017
Did anyone try to install driver for Windows 10 manually by pointing to .inf file? Does it work fine?

billDing

Feb 17, 2019
I have the needed drivers sans the installer. Just installed on server 2019 for a 970 Pro. Tried to upload a zip with the three files...site wouldn't let me. This after I was blacklisted as a bot...great site!

billDing

Feb 17, 2019
Looks like win-raid updated their driver offerings. This is from the latest Samsung NVMe posted there, under 'pure' i think it is?
Edit; mirror links still up:
OneDrive

Last edited:

rswoods

Feb 23, 2019
I appreciate the links!

I'm running Win2019 64 Std. on a 970 EVO (not pro..). Which driver? The one you checked in the img?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rswoods

Feb 23, 2019
I can't get past the "the best driver is already installed" message. And when I try to install from the inf file, I get a message that the driver is not compatible.. I did download the 64 bit v3.1.0.1901 WHQL version.

When I right-clicked the inf file and clicked install, it appeared to install, I rebooted, but device manager says it's still using the MS driver dated 2006.

Not sure what else to try...

Last edited:

billDing

Feb 17, 2019
Maybe try an earlier iteration, though with my setup there was no issue. You shouldn't have to, but you may try turning off secure boot and using the BCDedit options re using unsigned drivers?
Edit; are you looking in device manager under 'Storage controllers' or 'Disk drives'? Disk drives will always show the old MS driver, but under Storage controllers you should see the two default ('Microsoft storage spaces' and 'Standard NVM express' controllers). Chose the Standard NVM express controller and update it with the Samsung driver;
updatethisoption.png

After the update you should see this immediately;
success.png
Reboot.

Last edited:

rswoods

Feb 23, 2019
Thanks!

I suppose I did not know what I was doing... I do see the Samsung NVMe Controller listed under Storage controllers, so the driver did install.

I use Open Hardware Monitor (https://openhardwaremonitor.org) to monitor the temps of my hard drives, and it works fine under Win10. I like it because it can put a "gadget" on the desktop to make keeping track of the drive temp easy. But on Server2019, OHM sees the 970 EVO as a generic hard disk, and it cannot read the temperatures. That, plus the fact that "Drives will always show the old MS driver" was what led me to believe the Samsung driver was not installing.
OHM.jpg
Again, thanks for your time.

AVP

Jan 15, 2019
I came across a method that does not involve running Wix just in case you're not comfortable w/ that. Additionally I experienced that extracted MSI's won't run 2nd time on Windows server, in case you decide to uninstall them then re-install while testing performance between released versions.

Here're the steps:
- Install the SSD into a Win 10 machine
- Then install Samsung's drivers, reboot.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
- Arrange folders by date, the folder you want will be named similarly to "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\secnvme.inf_amd64_b85d12e8825d30fc" perhaps the GUID part will be different.
- Grab the driver files inside the folder, then manually update to these drivers in Windows Server machine via Device Manager.

Reactions: automobile

automobile

May 16, 2017
AVP thanks for the tip! Seems like Samsung NVMe Controller is now installed in the Device Manager. But does the Samsung Magician work? I can't run it... Tried different versions - no luck...
UPD: Samsung_Magician_Installer_6.1.0.zip works flawlessly! (Except the fact he tells that new version available :))

Last edited: