ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fray Mad

Aug 19, 2020
Madrid, España.
Hi, I tried to test the X11DPi-NT board, with CPUS QJW0 and memory, and it was a failure.

The problem is with the MB, which does not turn on.

When connecting the power supply, the Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) Heartbeat LED flashes normally and the board can be accessed via IPMI without issue.

But the onboard power LED that should light up when the power cord is plugged in, doesn't light. This LED indicates that the system is powered and should be green before turn on the MB whit de buton.

I have checked all the jumpers and they are in the correct position.

I connected the power supply to another gigabyte MD and if it turns on the System Power LED.

I follow testing with power supply, but afraid the problem is with the motherboard and I will have to return it if the seller wants, because it is from eBay ...... A disaster.

If you have any ideas, it is welcome.

Sorry for not being able to test the two BIOS I had for the Xeon QJW0, hopefully I'll try it sometime

Greetings.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If anyone knows how to mod the 3.0 bios (and if it just adding microcode) or have a modded bios from seller, please share.
the bios 3.0a includes the following microcodes.
50657 (50652 in modded bios)
what i know is that the microcode 50657(CLX stepping B1) is replaced by 50652 (SKL ES2 stepping B0) in bios 3.0a
because there is not enough space for 5 microcodes

Last edited:
Reactions: Vit K

Fray Mad

Aug 19, 2020
Madrid, España.
Whatever available, I want to know what was changed in bios image.

Hope you did not burn it, wish you luck :cool:
I don't know if the plate is fried but no way it works with a Xeon JQW0.

I hope the MB designers think of dummies like me and put diodes in the connectors to prevent these errors.

coilfenix

Nov 3, 2020
Hello, I bought 2 xeon e5-2699 v4 ES QHUP 2.1 processors:
C516A678 (E4)
L516C108 (E4)

Due to incompetence, I thought it would work on Dell R630, but it gives a bios error:
Broadwell A0 / A1 stepping CPU not supported. Please replace CPU.

Is it realistic to make them work on this server, please tell me.

Sorry for my bad english, I don't know this language.

coilfenix

Nov 3, 2020
You could try to downgrade the BIOS. I doubt it will work though A0 steppings were unstable typically.
I looked at a screenshot of one of the buyers with CPU-z. It is written there: Model F, Ext. Model 4f, Stepping 0, Revision B0. Maybe this information can help me?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
C516A678 (E4)
L516C108 (E4)

Due to incompetence, I thought it would work on Dell R630, but it gives a bios error:

it is allways critical to get ES to work on branded servers/motherboards.
Supermicro, ASRock works. And normaly they are stable, even bad production unit can be unstable.
you may make them work, but note there are NO microcode updates for vulnerabilities like spectre/meltdown.

Reactions: coilfenix

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
to the best of my knowledge the QHUP(stepping A1) do NOT work in pair, only as single cpu. but i may wrong.
edit:
ok, looks like i was wrong. found some screenshots with two QHUP on X10DAi & X10DAL motherboards.

Last edited:

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I'm not going to go off just a screenshot as it's that - a screenshot. If your system thinks they are A0 stepping then that's the reality that needs to be worked in. As posted above, you can try one and CPU if that helps. Or you can try swapping them in sockets. If they don't work in pairs for you then they don't work in pairs. A prior version of the BIOS may work but no guarantees are made.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I'm not going to go off just a screenshot as it's that - a screenshot. If your system thinks they are A0 stepping then that's the reality that needs to be worked in. As posted above, you can try one and CPU if that helps. Or you can try swapping them in sockets. If they don't work in pairs for you then they don't work in pairs. A prior version of the BIOS may work but no guarantees are made.
the Dell reports: Broadwell A0 / A1 stepping CPU not supported
QHUP

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Btw I found that string in latest BIOS version (2.10.5) but it is not present in first V4 supported version (2.0.1), you might try it. Theoretically you can trace and neuter code that check for the stepping, but firmware might be signed and of course you need to know what exactly you do.

e.PNG

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Btw I found that string in latest BIOS version (2.10.5) but it is not present in first V4 supported version (2.0.1), you might try it. Theoretically you can trace and neuter code that check for the stepping, but firmware might be signed and of course you need to know what exactly you do.

View attachment 16280
coilfenix owns a Dell R630,not R730.
can you search for the microcode 406F0 ?

Reactions: Mihail

sL1pKn07

Jan 11, 2018
Hi, i have a Asus Z10PE-D8 bios 3501 with dual E5-2650-V4 ES QHV6

anyone update the bios to 4101? is lost the support for the ES processors?

greetings