Backup Software Experience/Recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Ok, I use Veeam, but my license is about to expire, so I am at a point where I get to choose an alternative.

Been considering Veritas and Macrium, though Veeam still feels like the king of the hill, any suggestions/recommendations?

(ps money is no object as long as I can track down a good discount on extended licenses, this is backups after all)

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
really depends on what are you trying to back up? what's your backup destination? is cloud tiering needed? etc..
but a rule of thumb, I'd stay away from anything Symantec and/or veritas (I am/was NetBackup certified some years ago)

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I should have elaborated further.

I currently use Veeam B&R to manage backups of a few physical servers, 30 odd VMs, and my laptop and desktop too. Both linux and win platform.

It does the job fine, just the licensing cost is steep due to my node count and I've lost my 'special' discount contact now (retired).

So just wondering really what is out there and what others with largeish homelab/SMB infrastructures use these days...

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
So, checklist:

* Hyper-V integration
* Physical server backups (linux and windows)
* File share backups (NAS/SMB)
* A nice to have would be Smartphone backups (Android, don't do Apple, prefer bananas)

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
If you insist on the software to be free, then complex to deploy and use, but free Bacula should do the trick.
Otherwise, you may want to consider Nakivo. A cursory look shows me the later is a much cheaper option (Veeam Backup Essentials vs Nakivo Pro Essentials).
Some decent info here:

• Love
Reactions: Dreece