Xeon V3 16gb 1U servers $325

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019

Sounds a good base for a cheap and cheerful pfsense plus ssd storage server

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I have nothing against UnixSurplus and I have bought from them many times but when a hardware listing specifically mentions things like firmware versions/flavors or passwords being reset - it usually means that the vendor is trying to squeeze every last penny. It's very rare for such listings to qualify for a "great deal" in my book.

Reactions: fossxplorer

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
I have nothing against UnixSurplus and I have bought from them many times but when a hardware listing specifically mentions things like firmware versions/flavors or passwords being reset - it usually means that the vendor is trying to squeeze every last penny. It's very rare for such listings to qualify for a "great deal" in my book.
He has an account on this forum where he stated the BIOS was locked and SM would not send him an updated BIOS because it was flashed with a custom BIOS for the OEM (Softlayer). The BIOS password was found and posted in April of this year and then an updated version of the BIOS was posted to remove the default password so the seller has taken the liberty of using it to wipe and update.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
That price is a bit steep. For that I bought the motherboard, IO shield, Xeon E3-1241v3, SM active cooler, and 32GB Unbuffered ECC for my home server.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Yes. I am well aware of that. My point was that once an ebay seller "graduates" from being merely a "recycler" to something more and start offering warranties and care about firmware versions - they usually stop selling products at the price point I would consider being great deals. And UnixSurplus has crossed that threshold for me.

Reactions: Fritz and Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Knowledge = money.
That price is a bit steep. For that I bought the motherboard, IO shield, Xeon E3-1241v3, SM active cooler, and 32GB Unbuffered ECC for my home server.
Now that's how a proper homelab'er does things! :)
But sometimes a package with zero headaches comes in handy for those with little time on their hands to shop and hang around for bits, especially homelab-'sticker newbies. (you know those who have taken over youtube with their racks and servers but aint got the faintest clue why they even need the servers in the first place).