Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dinskuns

Nov 16, 2013
I am a newbe here so dont punch
Is there any chance to insert 8Tb SAS disks into this server without external pcie sas controller?
I've seen a 2x mini sas in description, is it for SAS HDD?

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
I kept watching the tinyminimicro series Patrick is doing, and really trying to make myself go that route, but I want a fast SAN, so no go there... So, I'm in for 3 of these bad boys. Did OBO at $85x3, accepted late night within an hour. Praying they're not too loud!

tomgopher

Aug 14, 2020
So I bought E5-2680V4 and this server. Now I'm a bit stuck. The bmc does not seem to let me in with default admin/password combo? Any ideas how to reset the BMC password to default? I would rather not have to buy and wait for a v3 cpu just so I could change the BMC settings in BIOS :(

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
So I bought E5-2680V4 and this server. Now I'm a bit stuck. The bmc does not seem to let me in with default admin/password combo? Any ideas how to reset the BMC password to default? I would rather not have to buy and wait for a v3 cpu just so I could change the BMC settings in BIOS :(
try admin / admin

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
I got 3 of the R180 servers, I have one that I am trying to setup currently, its screen is displaying "waiting for chipset to initialize."
I was able to login to the ipmi via admin admin, but I reset it to the defaults to clear any previous set configurations and now the admin/admin login will not work. Anyways to find out what the ipmi login would be?
I have 2x e5 2678v3's in it with 2x 64gb ddr4 ram.

Thanks

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
I got 3 of the R180 servers, I have one that I am trying to setup currently, its screen is displaying "waiting for chipset to initialize."
I was able to login to the ipmi via admin admin, but I reset it to the defaults to clear any previous set configurations and now the admin/admin login will not work. Anyways to find out what the ipmi login would be?
I have 2x e5 2678v3's in it with 2x 64gb ddr4 ram.

Thanks
I tried 2x 16gb sticks of ram and everything booted fine, the ram was fine and works well, tested in a r7910, this server doesn't appear to support lrdimm 64gb sticks of ram.

I did a factory reset of the BMC via the web gui and now am unable to access it. I can ssh in to it and get the server management command protocol console, but the webgui returns connection reset. I tried a cold restart with ipmi tool as well and still the same luck.
Does anyone have any help/solutions on how I can get the web gui back?

Thanks

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Ubuntu live boot for ipmi password reset

sudo ipmitool user list 1

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/ipmitool$ sudo ipmitool user list 1
ID Name Callin Link Auth IPMI Msg Channel Priv Limit
1 true true true ADMINISTRATOR
2 root true true true ADMINISTRATOR
3 admin true true true ADMINISTRATOR

sudo ipmitool user set password ID "password"

EX:
sudo ipmitool user set password 2 test

will set the root users password to test.

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
Ubuntu live boot for ipmi password reset

sudo ipmitool user list 1

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/ipmitool$ sudo ipmitool user list 1
ID Name Callin Link Auth IPMI Msg Channel Priv Limit
1 true true true ADMINISTRATOR
2 root true true true ADMINISTRATOR
3 admin true true true ADMINISTRATOR

sudo ipmitool user set password ID "password"

EX:
sudo ipmitool user set password 2 test

will set the root users password to test.
Okay,
how do I get the BMC out of console mode and back to basic? I made a mistake and accidentally rebooted with it and now it has no webGUI.

EDIT: Flashed the 128MB bmc file from the gigabyte support. It reset it to the defaults and had to run a
"ipmitool user set name 2 admin"
"ipmitool user set password 2 ADMIN"
to get it to run again.

Last edited:
Reactions: nedimzukic2

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
for rom flashing from linux

tar -xzf afulnx-5.05.04Z2.tar.gz
./afulnx_64 /MAKEDRV
./afulnx_64 backup.bin /O
then save it off box in case you need to recover...
I flashed to R15 and flashed uefi and ME based on release notes.

./afulnx_64 ..\..\SPI_UPD\image.bin /P /B /N /X /K /L /ME

put ME jumper on the board to normal after you update for security.
I had trouble with the webgui accepting the image.bin files so I flashed by hand in linux.

Reactions: Default User?

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
Kris, you can keep blaming Gigabyte for not making the difference between 2 images not clear enough but ultimately it was you who decided to flash the wrong image.

The latest version of the flashing script does not do any guessing - it requires user to select the memory size. The socflash binary just flashes the specified image. If user decides to flash the wrong image it would not matter if they used CLI or web UI - the end result would be the same.

Also it's the other way around - it's flashing 256Mb image instead of (proper for this system) 128Mb one what results in bricking.
which version exactly is the proper one to flash? The 128Mb one or the 256Mb one?
thanks!

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
I am a newbe here so dont punch
Is there any chance to insert 8Tb SAS disks into this server without external pcie sas controller?
I've seen a 2x mini sas in description, is it for SAS HDD?
This is to control SATA hard drives it is not a native SAS Controllers meaning a sas drive isn’t supported.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
which version exactly is the proper one to flash? The 128Mb one or the 256Mb one?
thanks!
BMC on MD90-FS0 rev1.0 boards (i.e. the boards from the OP) comes with a single 1 Gigabit DDR3 chip soldered on. That's 128 Megabytes of RAM. That's the distinction between 4.xx and 8.xx firmwares. The 8.xx branch requires 256 Megabytes of memory to run.

Default User?

Sep 5, 2020
BMC on MD90-FS0 rev1.0 boards (i.e. the boards from the OP) comes with a single 1 Gigabit DDR3 chip soldered on. That's 128 Megabytes of RAM. That's the distinction between 4.xx and 8.xx firmwares. The 8.xx branch requires 256 Megabytes of memory to run.
Thank you! I just flashed the 128MB and it worked perfectly.
I bought 3 of these servers to experiment with proxmox and HA, so far things are running well.
I think my next task should be to update the bmc as it is on v4.10 and the other two bmc's are on 4.75 and 4.88
both the 4.75 and 4.88 version have a hardware tab in the bmc settings, the v4.10 does not.

Do you know where I can get the newer bmc to flash over the web gui?
Thanks for all the help, I am just a college student trying to learn as much as possible.

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
Thank you! I just flashed the 128MB and it worked perfectly.
I bought 3 of these servers to experiment with proxmox and HA, so far things are running well.
I think my next task should be to update the bmc as it is on v4.10 and the other two bmc's are on 4.75 and 4.88
both the 4.75 and 4.88 version have a hardware tab in the bmc settings, the v4.10 does not.

Do you know where I can get the newer bmc to flash over the web gui?
Thanks for all the help, I am just a college student trying to learn as much as possible.
I couldn't get the WebUI to do the BMC flash for me, so I just made a freedos thumb drive and flashed my 3 that way. Smooth as silk. I love these, and am really fighting not getting 2 more - I honestly like them better than my Supermicro and Quanta servers!

AudioForce

Oct 10, 2020
Hi

I am new to this forum and I hope someone can help me, I bought 3 of these from the mentioned listing for my homelab, one is running Windows 2012 R2, another 2016 and lastly 2019

All have hyper-v role enabled on it, I am getting random BSOD on all 3 almost weekly, I have the latest bios R16 and latest BMC 4.88, all C & P Status disabled under power management, VT-D disable and I tried almost everything i found online but the issue remain

I also tried Bios R15 and found R11 and R10 flashed each same issue

Another issue also is Intel Speedstep doesnt seem to function on this MOBO, I have EIST and turbo mode enable but windows would still read the base speed no matter how much it would stress the CPU wont see the turbo clock speed in task manager under any of the 3 version of windows

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
@AudioForce I would start by stripping back everything to bare minimum, least amount of memory, hard drives, and no (PCIe) cards on one PC and see if it improves then if it still BSOD try a different Memory stick, try swapping processors. This would be normal trouble shooting to try and eliminate problems with other components being bad if it continues could be board. Also alternatively pull the CPU and go threw the Socket with a magnifying glass look for bent pins it only takes one. Also as your adding ram make sure its same part number, maybe go to vendor list and try to order a approved memory module last resort. If your still in the window of Return/Warranty consider buying square trade or ask seller for cross ship.

If its stable slowly add more stuff tell you find instability.

Are you running ES chips? this could be a reason intel Speed step doesn't work. Power states on some boards if disabled could prevent intel speed stepping. Not common but could be.

I don't have one of these boards so I'm just giving you standard PC trouble shooting. Sometimes I even have to be reminded myself.

Last If you have a known good hard drive do a fresh system load on it and see if that helps. Maybe if you have imaged or migrated from previous build it might not like all the previous bloat from older system drivers.

Reactions: AudioForce

AudioForce

Oct 10, 2020
@Prof_G Thank you very much for your help, highly appreciated. I am not running any of the 3 with any additional PCI card/Raid all basic, Removing all ram modules and starting with just 1 on each CPU Bank was my first resort, I took memory from a working HP G9 i have here to be sure its trouble free, same part number is listed under supported part (Hynix) on this model but this didnt help much

The cpu are retail not ES chips, all pins and socket pin are good went through them all with a magnifier here, Also each of the 3 running different E5v3 model... I just noticed that this server is good but BIOS on it is in my opinion is the issue, I cant seem to get the right combination for my setup regardless what i do

Sometimes if I only enable 1 option such as C6 report under power management wont boot Windows at all, I am hoping someone went through this as well that might have any hints on it

I also tested the CPU with intel diagnostic tool all passed, and memory all good with mem64... really out of solution here :(