[ESX7] Change SCSI Controller virtual PFSense LSI SAS => pvSCSI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
I am trying to change the SCSI controller of several installed Linux virtual machines. The one i am starting with is PFSense.
I have tried the "Windows trick", adding new Hard Disk with Paravirtual SCSI Controller reboot and then change the SCSI controller of the primary Hard Disk. But this trick doesn't work on my PFSense virtual machine (or any other Linux virtual machine).

Could somebody tell me how to do this? The error i get when i use the windows trick:

Trying to mount root from ufs.....
mountroot: waiting for device....

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
I am trying to change the SCSI controller of several installed Linux virtual machines. The one i am starting with is PFSense.
I have tried the "Windows trick", adding new Hard Disk with Paravirtual SCSI Controller reboot and then change the SCSI controller of the primary Hard Disk. But this trick doesn't work on my PFSense virtual machine (or any other Linux virtual machine).

Could somebody tell me how to do this? The error i get when i use the windows trick:

PFSense doesn't support pvscsi currently.
When FreeBSD get it, so will the next major PFSense version.

Support for pvscsi was pushed to FreeBSD in november 2019

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
Ubuntu 18.04 shouldn't be a problem, as Linux has supported pvscsi for a very long time.

If you have more than one disk, you might need to change the order of the disks if the VM doesn't boot.
But normally it should just work.

The Windows trick is just something you do to force the installation of the drivers. In Linux the drivers are always there.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

If your underlying storage is an SSD and if your guest OS supports it - why not use the NVMe driver? If the underlying storage is NVMe, then it's even better. And IIRC, FreeBSD supports NVMe ...

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
If your underlying storage is an SSD and if your guest OS supports it - why not use the NVMe driver? If the underlying storage is NVMe, then it's even better. And IIRC, FreeBSD supports NVMe ...
Underlying storage are SSD drives, but through ISCSI to a Synology DS3617xs. The Syno holds 8x1,92TB Micron enterprise SSD in RAID F1 Array.