Asus KNPA-U16 with Rome 7502 QS does not boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
Side note, ASUS tech support responded that they were sending me a motherboard with the latest Bios, instead I received a BIOS chip. I thought that was interesting because I asked support if I popped in a Bios Chip from Ebay and they told me I'd void the warranty and then they send me a Bios chip without directions. It looks pretty self-explanatory, but I'll let you know how it goes. 2020-08-03_14-43-42-Bioschip-reduced.jpg

Reactions: EagerToLearn

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
Hi just making sure the bios chip fix your problem as ASUS does not seem to want to send me a chip but insist on a RMA of the board. Almost tempted to send them this thread

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
Thank you DIF-Ops

Anyone else manage to do it via IPMI without a Naples chip?

Does error message are not super clear:
BIOS version did not match required. System and upload both need at least version not support this model
Checking baseboard ID failed, please check BIOS image!

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
Jon,

You can upgrade the board firmware via IPMI but you can't update the bios without a Naples cpu.

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
The Board is now posting with the new bios chip installed that Asus support sent.
Couple notes:
1. Take a picture up close of the bios chip before removing it. This is a good reference on making sure the chip is in the right way, (there's writing on the chip). You'll need needle-nose pliers.
2. After you power it up, don't press F2 right away, the system factory defaulted the bios which required a couple reboots on its own. I'll admit this may have been from when I was initially troubleshooting the board with my Rome chip. Eventually the system will post and you can enter the bios.

My take away from all of this is to escalate the case with Asus support. Asus support is so used to having people send in their boards for bent pins, etc. I'm glad they were eventually able to assist me with this but sending in my brand new board and then receiving a refurbished board with a really old bios is not in my opinion a great resolution. So if they ask you to send in your brand new board, ask to have the case escalated.

Installing the Bios chip took less than 5 minutes but I've been working on this issue since early June with countless back and forth emails with tech support. I was tempted to buy a chip off ebay but without knowing the source, I just didn't want to risk it.

I hope this info helps.

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
The Board is now posting with the new bios chip installed that Asus support sent.
Couple notes:
1. Take a picture up close of the bios chip before removing it. This is a good reference on making sure the chip is in the right way, (there's writing on the chip). You'll need needle-nose pliers.
2. After you power it up, don't press F2 right away, the system factory defaulted the bios which required a couple reboots on its own. I'll admit this may have been from when I was initially troubleshooting the board with my Rome chip. Eventually the system will post and you can enter the bios.

My take away from all of this is to escalate the case with Asus support. Asus support is so used to having people send in their boards for bent pins, etc. I'm glad they were eventually able to assist me with this but sending in my brand new board and then receiving a refurbished board with a really old bios is not in my opinion a great resolution. So if they ask you to send in your brand new board, ask to have the case escalated.

Installing the Bios chip took less than 5 minutes but I've been working on this issue since early June with countless back and forth emails with tech support. I was tempted to buy a chip off ebay but without knowing the source, I just didn't want to risk it.

I hope this info helps.
Good to hear.

Currently doing the back and forth with asus support escalation. But i confirm they are at first only offering to rma the board. The send multiple different email that keep changing the case number and asking multiple time for the same info. So seems the support team vs rma vs escalation vs engineering not using or getting previous info

But at the same time losing patience i contacted and ordered what should be the correct bios off ebay from a usa source for less then 20$ Canadian. Will see what i get first.

Only reason i got this board was because a nice sub 300$ Canadian deals and for the extra ram slots vs the other epyc boards i usually use.

Last edited:

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
Jon,

You can upgrade the board firmware via IPMI but you can't update the bios without a Naples cpu.
Asus did not confirm when I asked but by trying it it sure seem like that. Some other board from supermicro you usually can do the update of the bios with no cpu on the board so I was somewhat upfull this could be a faster solution to not having a Naples chip on hand. Don't know why but it is what it is unfortunately.

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
Have been escalated a couple of time still waiting on them to decide if I can get the bios chips.

DIF-Ops how many days/weeks did it take you to convince them. Would you have a contact email I could try?

DIF-Ops

Jul 21, 2020
From case start to case close it was almost 8 weeks. I wish I had a special email address, as I just had the generic support email. Also if you call, the support people have no knowledge of mailing chips so perhaps it was a one off.

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
Still waiting on asus to actually send the bios but keep getting changed from rep to rep and waiting on engineering.

In the mean time got a bios off eBay and voila post and it works

Reactions: Tha_14

Jon

Feb 28, 2016
From my personal point of view DIF-Ops got lucky or I am just plain out of patience.

Asus at a minimum for the server type board really just don't get it. That people can only buy one board and not a full server with there board in them seem unreal to them. Started contacting them in july. We are now in september. Still being pushed from one rep to a other. They keep asking the same redundant question and come back to telling to follow the Bios update instruction once in a while (the ones that require you to have two different CPU Naples and Rome). Or come back insisting on a full RMA. One of the proposed RMA paper even stated that they will restore the original bios !!