Dell X-series networking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I know a common complaint about these switches is the dog slow web GUI.

Is this still an issue in updated firmwares?

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Yep. At least I haven't noticed a significant change on my X-series switches, two X4012 and a X1008. The X4012 does seem a bit quicker than the X1008 but I suspect that is simply down to a different/faster management processor.

My take is that the switches are fine if you don't need to reconfigure them often, or need a CLI. If you are in a set-it-and-forget-it mode the UI delays are acceptable the few times you need to touch the switch.

Reactions: frogtech

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yep. At least I haven't noticed a significant change on my X-series switches, two X4012 and a X1008. The X4012 does seem a bit quicker than the X1008 but I suspect that is simply down to a different/faster management processor.

My take is that the switches are fine if you don't need to reconfigure them often, or need a CLI. If you are in a set-it-and-forget-it mode the UI delays are acceptable the few times you need to touch the switch.
What kind of scenario/lab environment are you using your X4012s in? I have 2 because I wanted a redundant environment for vSAN but wanted to play with some other HCI tech as well like Nutanix and S2D. I expect them to be fine for those use cases.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
What kind of scenario/lab environment are you using your X4012s in? I have 2 because I wanted a redundant environment for vSAN but wanted to play with some other HCI tech as well like Nutanix and S2D. I expect them to be fine for those use cases.
At one point in time I was using them as "core/aggregation" switches for my two networks here at the house, so definitely not a massive load (home user, etc.) but not idling either. I've since upgraded those switches for something else, but the X4012s have been moved elsewhere for the past year or two (still relegated to the basement due to fans) with typically little traffic, but it can burst fairly high on occassion.

In my opinion, they are still nice little switches if you can get one for a decent price. I'm not sure I would buy another at this point, but that is due more to my current setup than the switches themselves.

Reactions: frogtech

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
At one point in time I was using them as "core/aggregation" switches for my two networks here at the house, so definitely not a massive load (home user, etc.) but not idling either. I've since upgraded those switches for something else, but the X4012s have been moved elsewhere for the past year or two (still relegated to the basement due to fans) with typically little traffic, but it can burst fairly high on occassion.

In my opinion, they are still nice little switches if you can get one for a decent price. I'm not sure I would buy another at this point, but that is due more to my current setup than the switches themselves.
What did you upgrade to? I got my X4012s for 275 + shipping together on ebay(so $138~ each), the seller seemed motivated to move them. I'm always on the lookout for anything with fancier web interfaces as I like everything to be accessible from a web browser with a modern interface. I still have an ICX7250-24 that I'll most likely keep but I wanted to unify my main platform with more Dell equipment (Dell VRTX + blades w Dell switches), so I picked up 3 X1026s for 30/ea to use a management/uplink switches. It sucks they don't have dedicated interface managements, but between 10 switches, 24-2 SFP+ ports is more than I need.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I'm currently using a PC8100/N4000 stack. A different beast than the X4012s, but much more capable and it provides 10G in both copper and SFP+ as well as 40G via modules.
Are you using the 8100/4000 series in a home lab? I'm wondering if you also relegated them to the basement and what their noise is like. I have a 8024F at this point that would be a perfect switch feature wise in every regard, but the PSU fans are too loud and they don't really have a lot of room to fit in fake RPM fan sensors in them. Maybe if I really want to keep the 8024F I can rig up some arduinos to sit in the chassis and a really long wire with enough slack to support slotting them in and out normally.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
Are you using the 8100/4000 series in a home lab? I'm wondering if you also relegated them to the basement and what their noise is like.
Yes, I'm running them in a home lab, and yes, they are relegated to the basement both from a that's-where-I-need-them as well as a way-too-noisy-for-an-office perspective. It's been a while since I've run a 8024F, but from what I recall the 8164F/N4064F is louder.

Sorry :(