manage RAID controllers ESX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Diavuno

So, I have a varity of boxes. DL180, Dl380 Ml350. a half dozen power edges and 3 differant supermicros

Just as many RAID cards....

None show array health or options to configure arrays.

How do I monitor and manage these short or rebooting the hosts?

I could try direct I/O but everything is on those arrays, hypervisor included! do not want to brick them!

thoughts?

xena

Apr 10, 2013
If I understand you correctly, you need remote management capability in your servers. On HP its called ILo, on Dells Drac. Base on type of remote management you can setup Drac to send you email or snmp if disk die for example. Raid conf from vmware, perhaps if theres sw tools from manufacter. If you need such function in more "native" way, you can try Areca raid controllers with dedicated network port so you can configure your raid setup directly same way as it wouldby with configuring SAN or NAS over network.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Copy the smartctl binary onto your host and write a script that executes it remotely and parses the output. That would be pretty hardcore.

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
usually you have to install some stuff on the esxi host (for my adaptec I had to install 2 vib), then you are ready to install the management tool on a virtual machine (I installed maxView Storage Manager in a WHS2011 VM)

ant

Jul 16, 2013
I don't have full instructions. For the HPs you should be able to get some management software from here:

Driver Versions in HP supplied VMware ESX/ESXi images

I am using hpssacli to manage my HP raid card. Can show status and do configuration. eg:

/opt/hp/hpssacli/bin/hpssacli controller slot=17 show detail

Smart Array P400 in Slot 17
Bus Interface: PCI
Slot: 17
Serial Number: <removed>
Cache Serial Number: <removed>
RAID 6 (ADG) Status: Enabled
Controller Status: OK
Hardware Revision: D
Firmware Version: 6.86
Rebuild Priority: Medium
Expand Priority: Medium
Surface Scan Delay: 15 secs
Surface Scan Mode: Idle
Wait for Cache Room: Disabled
Surface Analysis Inconsistency Notification: Disabled
Post Prompt Timeout: 0 secs
Cache Board Present: True
Cache Status: OK
Cache Ratio: 0% Read / 100% Write
Drive Write Cache: Disabled
Total Cache Size: 512 MB
Total Cache Memory Available: 464 MB
No-Battery Write Cache: Disabled
Cache Backup Power Source: Batteries
Battery/Capacitor Count: 1
Battery/Capacitor Status: OK
SATA NCQ Supported: True
Number of Ports: 2 Internal only
Driver Version: 3.6.1
Driver Supports HP SSD Smart Path: False

There are probably similar tools for Dells etc.