AMD Threadripper Pro is a Workstation EPYC or WEPYC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Do you have data about price on those? They seem to be able to completely obliterate the single socket EPYC P series. Also, do they actually use a Chipset or are they pure SoC like standard SP3 EPYCs? Are there new Workstation type Motherboards, or do they use standard SP3 ones?
I'm particularly interesed on the 16C part since if the price is good, it would help me to realize my dream of going SP3 instead of high end Ryzen: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cp049e

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Sadly as I feared they might be, these are apparently OEM-only so likely won't be available retail. Almost certainly they're using the SP3 socket as they have all the hallmarks of higher-clocked Epycs (8-channel RDIMM support being a dead giveaway).

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Hopefully there will be supermicro and gigabyte options even if we have to go through acmemicro or wiredzone ...

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
I'm curious whenever these TR Pro are pinout compatible with standard Socket SP3, albeit I'm aware than no current Motherboard should be validated for their 280W TDP so I'm not expecting them to work properly in those.

If anything, I'm more curious about Workstation level Motherboards feature set. 128 PCIe Lanes automatically means 4 16x PCIe Slots and several OCuLink Ports (4 PCIe Lanes each), at minimum. Expecting something bigger than EATX.