Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
What good CPUs can you recommend for the C6100 with 3.0+ Ghz clock?

I dont know much about serverprocessors, but I read that the C6100 supports 55xx och 56xx, does this mean ALL processors that has 55xx/56xx?

What does the letter before 55xx mean? I see some with E, X and W (W55xx).
I hope you have a big budget as i just did a quick search and im seeing X5680's for example running at $700+ each. Eight of those........

Even the X5667 (which just scraped in a 3.06Mhz) is over $300 each

The worst im seeing is X5690's (Hex 3.46Ghz) at over $1,600 each
The best is the W5590 (Quad 3.33Ghz) at over $200 (for some reason these are cheaper than the W5580 the only other chip i could find info on over 3Ghz in the 5500 series)

Compare that to an L5639 (Hex 2.13Ghz) at well under $200 each or even L5520's (Quad 2.26Ghz) at under $50 each and its hard to justify unless you really need high speed processors for a very specific reason. Maybe you better off getting a hex core instead of the faster quad i dont know. Depends on your planned use

Prices are in Australian dollars on ebay doing a random worldwide search. Cheaper options likely exist in the US or Europe but wont ship here.

root

Nov 19, 2013
Hi,

Need some help quickly. I am about to order C6100 tomorrow from MCP @ ebay but they no longer have Dell/LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i controllers with wires that will allow me to run two sets of HDDs (6 drives each) connected to two nodes. Could you please help me find the correct wires for this PCIe controller? Is it SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable or SFF-8087 to 4x SATA? Where this cable connects to?

If there are no OEM Dell available, can be just standard SFF-8087 cable used instead? I remember reading this somewhere earlier but can't find the post.

I don't want to lose any standard functionality if non-Dell cables are used.

Last edited:

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Im fairly certain the one i used loose drive lights if thats a big thing for you if not i can dig through my eBay items and find a link maybe. From memory you could change jumpers on the backplane to get the lights back though. I didnt worry as its for colo so im unlikely to see it anyway and i used drive blanks instead of trays for 8 of my drives. So no lights on those anyway.

root

Nov 19, 2013
Im fairly certain the one i used loose drive lights if thats a big thing for you if not i can dig through my eBay items and find a link maybe. From memory you could change jumpers on the backplane to get the lights back though. I didnt worry as its for colo so im unlikely to see it anyway and i used drive blanks instead of trays for 8 of my drives. So no lights on those anyway.
Is the issue with lights because of the particular cable used or because of server design?

Still, I don't know what cable is used to connect LSI 9260-8i... any help?

root

Nov 19, 2013
There are two cables 0HJ6F0*and 2HGHV*
I see. So they are SFF-8087 to 4x SATA. Where these cables are connected to? Are they going to these same connectors we have SATA cables coming from motherboard (sorry, I do not have the server so I can't just look and see where connectors are)?

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Thanks, I have plenty of these. Where did you connect the SATA connectors to?

That's a standard cable without sideband connector. Original Dell cables come with one additional small connector, maybe that's the reason why you're not getting lights?
I connected them to the small chip at the end of the blade. Where the sata cables it came with normally go to. I think its called and Interposer. Obviously from there you have a connection between the midplane and backplane. Keeps the Server trays hot swappable.

At the end of the day i got those cables when ordering the cards and drive lights were not important to us. As i said i cheaped out enough to actually use the drive blanks for 8 of the drives instead of getting hot swappable trays anyway. So they dont have lights to begin with.

obrown

Feb 3, 2014
Can anybody point me at a good daughterboard 10/100/1000 network adapter for this thing? Ran into an issue where I need a few more ports than what it came with and unsure if I should go with a mezzanine card or riser card.

ktkintner

Jan 7, 2014
Can anybody point me at a good daughterboard 10/100/1000 network adapter for this thing? Ran into an issue where I need a few more ports than what it came with and unsure if I should go with a mezzanine card or riser card.
I put a dual port Intel 1000/PT in the PCIe riser card of one of my nodes and it is working fine.

WScott66

Nov 11, 2013
So, I have a vendor with brand new C6100 Barebones (Yes, Brand New in the original box.) for $575.00 each. But I need to purchase in bulk/quantity to get this price. If I can get at least 9 others looking at purchasing a unit I can make the deal. These are the XS23-TY3 with the Mezzanine Slots (Latest version.).

I am also working on a similar deal for the C6220 Barebones but these are $1,250.00 each! Brand new in the original boxes. A minimum order quantity on these would be 9 other units to make the deal happen!

These are both excellent prices! and are bulk only. So if I cant get the quantity and only get 8 buyer its not going to happen. and the quantity he has is limited with no more coming, so he says!

I am not looking for any money up front! (No scams!) I would purchase the units and ship to you VIA UPS C.O.D. for shipping and a nominal fee of $79.00 to cover my expense for shipping them to me to start.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
shipping to australia possible? Happy to pay extra shipping costs if they're below $200 otherwise don't worry.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia if you need a suburb and state.

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
shipping to australia possible? Happy to pay extra shipping costs if they're below $200 otherwise don't worry.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia if you need a suburb and state.
I have shipped a couple of these to Australia for myself. Think $400+ shipping alone im sorry to say. They are huge and weigh a tone.

The 6220 actually interests me a fair bit. Would have to work out what the CPU's and RAM would set me back on top before i commit though.

Let me think about it. But its more than possible.

BackWoodsTech

Oct 23, 2013
So, I have a vendor with brand new C6100 Barebones (Yes, Brand New in the original box.) for $575.00 each. But I need to purchase in bulk/quantity to get this price. If I can get at least 9 others looking at purchasing a unit I can make the deal. These are the XS23-TY3 with the Mezzanine Slots (Latest version.).

I am also working on a similar deal for the C6220 Barebones but these are $1,250.00 each! Brand new in the original boxes. A minimum order quantity on these would be 9 other units to make the deal happen!

These are both excellent prices! and are bulk only. So if I cant get the quantity and only get 8 buyer its not going to happen. and the quantity he has is limited with no more coming, so he says!

I am not looking for any money up front! (No scams!) I would purchase the units and ship to you VIA UPS C.O.D. for shipping and a nominal fee of $79.00 to cover my expense for shipping them to me to start.
Do you know how many power supplies are included in either unit? Also, you may get more response over in the deal section.

lmk

Dec 11, 2013

Are they 24 bay or 12 bay?