Migrating from Nexentastor to OmniOS/Napp-it

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bwillcox

Jan 20, 2013
Tejas
Been doing some searching on the various threads here, in the giant ZFS storage thread at the [H], and elsewhere, and haven't been able to find a solid answer to this somewhat nagging question.

I currently have a NexentaStor CE system running as my NAS which I am quite fond of other than the 18TB limit on storage.

While I am nowhere near that limit currently, the 12bay chassis I have could easily go over it filling it up the rest of the way with 3 or 4 TB disks when I am ready for them.

To be 100% honest, I am growing somewhat concerned about Nexenta itself being around what with their community forum being overrun with spam and 4.0 taking what seems like forever to roll out the door, and what happens to the appliances if they and their licensing host go poof.

Is it possible to export my pool from NS, and import it back under an OmniOS/Napp-It installation without too much trouble?

I seem to vaguely remember reading something about NexentaStor mounting pools on a different mountpoint than what OmniOS/Napp-It does, but I will be cursed if I can find said reference again.

Love this site and forum other than it tends to make my wallet much lighter :D

-b-

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Depends on the pool version level. If the new OS you choose supports the version level of your current pool then yes - you should be able to export from Nextenta and import directly on your new system. This is one of the strengths of ZFS.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
There is no problem to import pools from NexentaStor in BSD, Illumos or Solaris. The other way round need Pools V28-ZFS 5 to be exchangeable in any case.

Only problem can be the mountpoint that you need to adjust. Nexenta mounts a pool under /volumes/pool wheras all other mount a pool under /pool as default.