FS: Dell C6100 12 Bay, 8x L5520, 96GB Memory. Dell warranty through 10/20/14

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR

Update 2/26/14
All Items sold

Unfortunately, it's time for me to clean up my lab (basement) and move along some of my equipment. I'm posting on STH first as I think that some of the items will be of interest, but CL and eBay are close behind, so don't procrastinate.

This post is for a Dell PowerEdge C6100 XS23-TY3 4 Node Server. There's a long thread here that goes into all of the details of the C6100.

The configuration is as follows ..
C6100 Chassis
2x 1100W Redundant Power Supplies
4 x Nodes ( each node comprising of 2x Xeon L5520, 2x Heatsink, 6x 4GB Kingston PC3-10600R )
12x 3.5" Disk Trays

Also included in this sale are 2x additional disk trays and the Dell "backplane to interposer" cables ( 2x SFF-8087 to 4 Sata + 2x SFF-8087 to 2 SATA ) that are required to cable up 6 disks to 1 node. Note that you will also need to cable up the appropriate sled with cable part number 6J3R2 for SATA or HYJ6F if you have the SAS Mezzanine card which are NOT included in this sale.

There are a few scratches on the chassis but overall it is in great shape. The Nodes are all "mezzanine capable" and firmware is fully supported through the Dell Web site.

Installed Firmware is the latest posted on the Dell Web site:
- Chassis PIC Firmware is rev 0120
- Node BMC Firmware is rev 1.33
- Node BIOS Firmware is rev 1.71

All of the following photos / screen dumps are of the actual unit for sale ..

1) Front ..

Keen observers will note that a few of the disk trays only have a single power indicator and not both Power and Activity indicators. This has not mattered to me, but I mention it for the sake of completeness !

2) Front and Top ..

3) Rear and Top ..

4) Rear ..

5) Node ..

6) Warranty Details for this unit ..

7) CPU Details for all 4 Nodes as reported by AIDA64 CPUID

8) AIDA64 Stress Test run on 4 Nodes for 1 Hr ..

9) Extra bits included ..

Let me know if there are any other details that you need ..

Price and Shipping ...
I'm asking $925 + shipping, payable via PayPal.
I'm located in Portland OR, and I'd be happy to meet up with anyone local, and cash works fine for a F2F transaction.

Per the sticker on the top of the unit, this is an 80lb device. The shipping box will be approx 36" x 24" x 12". A quick check with FedEx shows that Ground shipment to the East Coast, say New York 10007 (just an example) would be about $100.

My preference is to ship to the contiguous 48, but if you want to arrange your own freight ( see the discussion at the bottom of this thread then I'll try and work with you.

Last edited:

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Additional C6100 Items ..

I also have some additional C6100 related items that are available..

1100W Power Supply, p/n XVKF0
$40 each + shipping, 3 units available.

Mellanox dual port QDR Infiniband Mezzanine Card, p/n JR3P1
Firmware upgraded to 2.10.720 (see this main site post ) and verified under Server 2012. Riser card included.
$145 each + shipping, 4 units available or $500 + shipping for all 4.

Set of 4x Evercool EC8038HH12BP Fans
$70 + shipping for the set.
See the taming the c6100 thread for details.

The original "donor" delta fans that provided the cable harnesses are included. I hard wired the Fan to the cable harness as follows ..

Note: These fans are significantly quieter than the original Deltas and they spin much slower. So much so that under low loads ( say only 1 node powered up and idle ), you are very likely to see "low fan threshold" errors reported (Node power LED indicator will flash green and orange). I seem to remember that I was able to use IPMI Tools to lower the fan threshold to remove the chance of the error, but this was not a persistent change, and would be lost on a hard power down.
Anyway, it never bothered me as I typically only ran a couple of nodes at a time and I was shooting for "quiet" above all else, but wanted to make the "error potential" evident.