Fortinet 60D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
OBasel, have a Fortinet 40C at the house, (may seem like overkill), it enables me to manage the teenage kids internet activity, access times, content, applications, quotas at different times of the day, weekends and holidays etc. This was simply not available in normal routers etc, you could only get very basic controls with very limited ability to have multiple setups, user profiles, and were exasperating to try to use.

There was a small learning curve with the machine.

I am sure this is available thru the pfsense and other software firewalls, but back in 2011 / 12, I was not confident to go that route.

Purchased the machine with multiyear license, thru mid 2015. I felt the pricing was reasonable for what I got. The support was good, only made 2 tickets, and very professional response. The updates are available on a regular basis, and simple to manage.
Mostly the machine uses GUI interface, however some CLI commands are required, for example to change the Quotas to bandwidth instead of time.
The 60D has a significant jump in Bnndwidth and users, and will cost a lot more.

Overall I would say the Fortinet 40C has been great value for money when I look at the overall "Home" IT spend!!! They also had a broad range of gear that I was able to pick from to get what I wanted.

Good Luck, I guess the cost issue focuses on the performance you need and the number of users to pick the right machine, and ongoing license cost.

Last edited:

methos

Dec 19, 2013
Canton, OH
OBasel - I have a FG WIFI 60d at home for many reasons pgh5278 stated. If you want to build a lab, I'd recommend a 60c + 3 years. If it's simple home use, the 40 will do you well. We deployed one 40 at a customer site and it's under-powered with all the options turned on + vpn tunnels.