HP Micro Server Proliant N54L quitable for to-go setup ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I have two of these in stock right now and would be interested in running one as a home storage server.

This exact reference isn't listed here on http://www.napp-it.org/manuals/to-go_en.html but do you guys think it'd work ?

Thanks !

PS please someone fix the title (quitable / suitable)

Last edited:

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
Also, do you guys know if I should order more RAM ? I don't intend to use dedup but is 2GB enough even without it ?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2014
I have two of these in stock right now and would be interested in running one as a home storage server.

This exact reference isn't listed here on http://www.napp-it.org/manuals/to-go_en.html but do you guys think it'd work ?

Thanks !

PS please someone fix the title (quitable / suitable)
Actually have a older n40l with 16 gb and a m1015 (reflash to 9211), with 6x ssd and 4x 4tb running here..
Been working awsome, out preforms any powervault md3200 or equalogic 16 disk enclosure ive seen passing.

Actually got the sales dude from dell to be gone real fast :)

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I'm just getting started with ZFS and I have to admit I wouldn't know what to do with this many disks. I generally run those mini servers in RAID 6 and never bothered filling up the optical with disks. Especially not SSDs. Right now, I'm thinking I could use 2 extra slots for system if I ever decide to go for an OmniOS/napp-it barebone setup. Indeed, I might be interested in running a couple of vms too which I'm not sure a to-go setup would let me. Like I said, I'm just getting started..

methos

Dec 19, 2013
Canton, OH
StephD -

You're in the right forums to learn ZFS. There is a guide around that discusses scenarios such as common/best practice drive configuration options. ZFS loves RAM, so max out your ram in the MicroServer 8GB or 16GB if you flash the BIOS as someone has mentioned. I personally use the HP Microservers and drop FreeNAS on a USB stick and mount on the internal USB slot. That free's up the (4) Swap slots + the 3.5 bay for perhaps another (2) 2.5 " drives. Our configuration for the Microserver

8GB RAM
(4) 4TB SATA WD Red Drives
1 8GB USB Stick running FreeNAS

I schedule ZFS Sends and some rsync's off-site across a IPSEC VPN Tunnel.

There's a lot of good information out there on ZFS -
Nex7's Blog: ZFS: Read Me 1st

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Also, do you guys know if I should order more RAM ? I don't intend to use dedup but is 2GB enough even without it ?
2GB is ok for a stable config.
If you add more this is used as read cache - the source of performance.

As ram is cheap, add as much as possible.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
StephD -

You're in the right forums to learn ZFS. There is a guide around that discusses scenarios such as common/best practice drive configuration options. ZFS loves RAM, so max out your ram in the MicroServer 8GB or 16GB if you flash the BIOS as someone has mentioned. I personally use the HP Microservers and drop FreeNAS on a USB stick and mount on the internal USB slot. That free's up the (4) Swap slots + the 3.5 bay for perhaps another (2) 2.5 " drives. Our configuration for the Microserver

8GB RAM
(4) 4TB SATA WD Red Drives
1 8GB USB Stick running FreeNAS

I schedule ZFS Sends and some rsync's off-site across a IPSEC VPN Tunnel.

There's a lot of good information out there on ZFS -
Nex7's Blog: ZFS: Read Me 1st
How does FreeNAS compare with Illumos based systems ? Is there à particular reason you run this instead ?

Also thanks for the link. This is interesting to read. At some point it states ZFS shouldn't be used with SATA drives. Have you ever come accross problems with your setups because of SATA drives ?