2.5 SSD mounts without using a HS Bay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
What size motherboard are you using? I've used Velcro ghetto mounts in that exact chassis before. They work pretty well. If the MB is ATX and does not fill the entire tray area you can mount stick them between the fan wall and the top of the MB. Otherwise there is about a 1.5in gap between the PSU wall and the MB that works too (though I've always had some latent worry about EMF issues from the PSU potentially affecting an SSD - probably nothing to worry about).

Basically with a Velcro mount you can use any free space you can find in the chassis (SSDs width is just slightly smaller than 2U high so up against the chassis wall usually works. In a couple of cases I was worried about the Velcro straps coming loose so I poked holes through the straps at the SSD mounting hole points and put a screw in to hold it together - though these days I think that's probably overkill.

Also note I'd never do this for production...just for Labs/test/home use.

It makes things easier if you make up your own power cables too since stock ones one fit nicely.

Something like this using Velcro strap and then sticky-back velcro in the case to hold it in place:

Last edited:

methos

Dec 19, 2013
Canton, OH
Motherboard..X7DBN

What size motherboard are you using? I've used Velcro ghetto mounts in that exact chassis before. They work pretty well. If the MB is ATX and does not fill the entire tray area you can mount stick them between the fan wall and the top of the MB. Otherwise there is about a 1.5in gap between the PSU wall and the MB that works too (though I've always had some latent worry about EMF issues from the PSU potentially affecting an SSD - probably nothing to worry about).

It makes things easier if you make up your own power cables too since stock ones one fit nicely.

I like your style and considered it also but this is for production. Not sure why the hell I didn't mention the board...it's a SuperMicro X7DBN. I've seen those 2.5 drive holders that you mount into a PCI slot...but not sure if it's recommended?

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X7DBN

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You can fab similar things "for production". Four short pieces of thin aluminum with holes drilled to hold 2-4 SSDs in a block, and then a simple bracket on the sidewall of the case. If you look on the PSU wall of the SC826 you'll see some small hook receivers that SM uses that you could easily mount too for something secure.

There's also these things, though it might be a trick to find room for four of them.

SYBAUSA - SY-MRA25023 >> Back Panel Slot Mount Mobile Rack for 2.5" Laptop Size SATA HDD/SSD