PoE access point?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
Good night, I'm after the Archer C7 or C9 for a new home network. Was expecting to install 3 of them around the house and PoE seems the way to make it easier.

Anybody can recommend any OpenWRT compatible AC1900 AP that could be powered by PoE?

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
If you want PoE WiFi APs then buy PoE WiFi APs, but routers which also happen to wifi. not the same thing. EAP245 V3 is one from Tplink and while cheapest, it's also cheapest if you know what I mean.
A step up in quality would be with Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pro which I waited and got on sale for about $120 each - YMMV. Probably cheaper used.
It comes with free and easy to use management software that you could install on many different oses (it required for 1st install or if you need to run a hotspot, at all times) It also sold as in-expensive hardware piece and offers OPTIONAL cloud management without a subscription.
And while for me it is a dark horse, this particular board absolutely raves about Ruckus Wireless and their R710 which is about $200 used on eBay.

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
I was trying to imply that C7/C9 capabilities were my target (being able to run OpenWRT mostly for the multi SSD/VLAN capabilities). Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll check them all before moving forward.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
you could do multi SSIDs/Vlans (and much more) with Ubiquiti and Ruckus for sure. Don't know much about TPlink, but likely as well.

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
Regular/consumer TPLink cannot unless you flash them with openWRT and there are no PoE versions.

I'm considering TP-Link EAP245 vs Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO, the Unifi controller supports switches too but the TP-Link AP has better radio tricks.

Any model you could recommend on the Ruckus front?

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
R710 Unleashed software is typically around $200 on the bay
Still looking around

R500 sounds more affordable, I'm thinking about deploying 3, 1 per floor on a 3 stories house. Would that be comparable/better to/than a 3 x EAP245 setup?.

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
Anybody can recommend any OpenWRT compatible AC1900 AP that could be powered by PoE?
If AC1750 would be also fine the Devolo Wifi Pro 1750 could be a good choice:
OpenWrt Project: devolo WiFi pro 1750e
I heard good things about these.

Or just search this Table by yourself: https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all

I personally have installed some Ubiquiti UAP AC (Pro) with "Freifunk" Firmware (which is OpenWRT based) but I'm not sure to recommend since Ubnt is locking them down more and more and at least one of them had some strange behaviour and was rebooting with more than 20 people connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyruspy

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
What's wrong with a C7 plus a POE splitter? Just make sure you buy one compatible with your switch, or buy as a matched pair with injector or your eyes will go blury with 24v passive, 48v passive, 802.3af, 802.3at, lions tigers and bears, oh my.

Modern gear uses 802.3. 'af' up to 15 watts, 'at' up to 30 watts. Some older gear and some second tier manufacturers still use proprietary POE techniques or one of the semi-standard passive POE conventions. I strongly recommend against anything that is NOT 802.3af/at if you plan on keeping it more than a short while.

Reactions: nasi

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
PoE injector = clutter?

I'm leaning towards Ruckus ICX 7150 for the switch and TPLink Omada for the APs (5 + physical appliance) mostly because of the cost.

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
PoE injector = clutter?
You still can use a standard PoE switch with a PoE splitter for each AP - so it doesn't matter which AP you're using. Or does installation of APs also have to be tidy, e.g. visible at the ceiling?

Do TP-Link Omada also run OpenWRT?

cyruspy

Mar 26, 2016
It's a house installation. As always wife demands good coverage with invisible APs

Omada is a business line from TPLink, very affordable. I expect to use stock firmware at this point in time.

Reactions: nasi