Quanta 2U D51B: LGA2011-3, 24 x 2.5" Trays, 10 GbE, Rails $250 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
thanks. is this the SAS3008 mezz card that would fit:

Quanta QS-3008-8i-IR-V2 QS 3008 8 Port 12Gbps Storage Mezz Card LSI SAS3008 | eBay

And where can i find the bracket or what's the bracket P/N? (if you know..)

Yeah, I think that one would work. The cards are the same between the 1U and 2U (and other models like the D51PC), but all the brackets are different. I was going to pull the card and bracket from my 1U until I saw the part listings in the FRU Part List in the download section (QuantaGrid D51B | 2U Rackmount Server | QCT.io)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Yeah, I think that one would work. The cards are the same between the 1U and 2U (and other models like the D51PC), but all the brackets are different. I was going to pull the card and bracket from my 1U until I saw the part listings in the FRU Part List in the download section (QuantaGrid D51B | 2U Rackmount Server | QCT.io)
thanks! that helps... but looks like the parts are hard to find... hmm.... might have to fabricate something... can you show me a picture of what the bracket looks like?

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
thanks! that helps... but looks like the parts are hard to find... hmm.... might have to fabricate something... can you show me a picture of what the bracket looks like?
I only have the 1U version which doesn't fit in the 2U unit - the connector doesn't line up when attempting to mount the bracket in the half height slot. I've attached some pictures.

Is the bracket really necessary?
Yeah, I think it is. The connector is pretty shallow and I'm not sure it would support the weight of the card. You might be able to use some nylon standoffs to hold up the other end but it limits the use of the two PCIe slots below the SAS mezz card.

Attachments

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks for the pics and info. Now I just need to convince myself that I don't need it :)
More often than not, when I ponder something like this it gets bought out by those who don't. This can be either good or bad depending how you look at it.

Reactions: BLinux

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
More often than not, when I ponder something like this it gets bought out by those who don't. This can be either good or bad depending how you look at it.
I picture a cat with a serious face, smoking a cigar, saying these words in all seriousness ... and it just makes me giggle a bit. :)

Reactions: Fritz

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
This looks like a great deal to me. 10G SFF ethernet, 24SFF with all trays, rails and LGA 2011-3 2U unit at $250 is the lowest, yet I don't see any excitement in STH. Is there a catch?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
This looks like a great deal to me. 10G SFF ethernet, 24SFF with all trays, rails and LGA 2011-3 2U unit at $250 is the lowest, yet I don't see any excitement in STH. Is there a catch?
i agree, and ordered one. but i've been searching for that bracket to hold the SAS3008 card with little luck. parts for these seem harder to come by than the more common brands of servers (Dell, HP, IBM)...

azev

Jan 18, 2013
i agree, and ordered one. but i've been searching for that bracket to hold the SAS3008 card with little luck. parts for these seem harder to come by than the more common brands of servers (Dell, HP, IBM)...
If all else fails you can always go the PCI-E route for SAS controller and others :)
Since they have plenty in stock I am going to wait until next quarter ebay bux shows up and I will get at least 1.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
If all else fails you can always go the PCI-E route for SAS controller and others :)
Since they have plenty in stock I am going to wait until next quarter ebay bux shows up and I will get at least 1.
No, I won't chicken out and use a PCIe slot. I'll fabricate something... shouldn't be hard... Some sheet metal bends, drilling holes, and standoffs should be able to make something work. Maybe combine with a LSI PCI bracket... I need to see the real thing first to see how it is supposed to attach.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Is the BMC login username/passord known so you can login?
The default is admin/admin, but that didn't work until I flashed the BMC to the latest version. The password reset jumper (J11) didn't have any effect, so that must just control the BIOS password.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The default is admin/admin, but that didn't work until I flashed the BMC to the latest version. The password reset jumper (J11) didn't have any effect, so that must just control the BIOS password.
Link to the latest version ?

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Reactions: semidetached