Dell satadom 64gb

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Just and FYI, I received SATADOM from the seller I posted couple posts back and it does not work without cable in the SM orange SATA port.
small bummer, what did you plug it into or did you use another cable/plug ?

Reactions: Samir

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
does your sata-port have that exta power-pin? they call it 8-pin port, if i am not wrong
SM orange port supports power on the 7th SATA pin. Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE series also supports power on the 7th pin, but only models that end in F. Since the one I bought is dell branded and it does not use Innodisk PN it wasn't clear if it will support power on the 7th pin or not.

small bummer, what did you plug it into or did you use another cable/plug ?
Haven't figured it out yet. It is a major PITA since plug on the SATADOM side is 3-pin rather than 2-pin, so you can't even use cable that SM SATADOMs use. I think I will power it from Molex connector, will just cobble something similar to CBL-CDAT-0597 from the parts I have.

Reactions: JanCerny and Samir

nezach

Oct 14, 2012

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I can just cut the cable and make it work so powering it is not that hard. just would have been perfect to have it powered by the sata port itself, just simple compared to more effort.

1DWPD is plenty and some for boot device.

nezach

Oct 14, 2012
I can just cut the cable and make it work so powering it is not that hard. just would have been perfect to have it powered by the sata port itself, just simple compared to more effort.

1DWPD is plenty and some for boot device.
I know what you mean, it's just an unnecessary hassle.

I got lucky and found a female connector that SM motherboard requires laying around, spliced wires and all is well now. I still don't know what that connector is. It would be nice to know, so I can just buy them online. Appears to be JST-SH, but I am not completely sure. It must be one of these:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-connectors-housings/319?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv88=169295&pv89=6219&sf=0&FV=-8|319&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I actually have a bunch, anyone need 16-20 of these? I need to count up how many I have.

fabricist

Mar 5, 2020
I can confirm that the power from 7th pin on SM motherboard for these DELL/Innodisk DOMs is not working:(, at least not on my motherboard (X10SLR-F). The solution I have, is to take the included power cable, cut off the connector on the motherboard side and crimp the right connector for the SM motherboard. SM is using (on the X10SLR-F) the Molex PicoBlade, so you need the connector housing 0510210300 and the corresponding crimping inserts 0500588100 (check cable dimensions). It is a small connector, crimping it was the hardest part for me.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
I can confirm that the power from 7th pin on SM motherboard for these DELL/Innodisk DOMs is not working:(, at least not on my motherboard (X10SLR-F). The solution I have, is to take the included power cable, cut off the connector on the motherboard side and crimp the right connector for the SM motherboard. SM is using (on the X10SLR-F) the Molex PicoBlade, so you need the connector housing 0510210300 and the corresponding crimping inserts 0500588100 (check cable dimensions). It is a small connector, crimping it was the hardest part for me.
Another slightly-easier but less-elegant method I've done for things like this is cut up an old cdrom audio header cable (really, anything with 0.1" pitch, or even just use some random dupont connector jumpers), solder and heatshrink, and plug it into an unused USB header.

Reactions: Evan and Marsh

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
If you do not mind opening the casing (the halves are glued in together - so it was not really meant to be disassembled) - you could just solder in the R41 zero ohm resistor (or just a piece of wire) to connect SATA pin#7 to VCC.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
If you do not mind opening the casing (the halves are glued in together - so it was not really meant to be disassembled) - you could just solder in the R41 zero ohm resistor (or just a piece of wire) to connect SATA pin#7 to VCC.
I did exactly what you suggested a while ago and i was so sure it would work but it didn’t. I’m wondering if SM needs some kind of sense circuit before they turn on the power. Read the documentation on the design of the extra power on pin 7.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I did exactly what you suggested a while ago and i was so sure it would work but it didn’t.
Have you tried removing the jumper? Did it work with the provided cable? You could have damaged the DOM while opening or modding.

So far I have modded 2 units and both of them worked without a hitch (in Intel motherboards, I do not have any SM systems to test with).

Mo2

Nov 6, 2018
Did anyone find a pre-made cable for these?

EDIT: I went looking through my cables and found male to female jumper cables that I was using with a breadboard. I tried using it with the supplied cable and it seems to fit. The female end goes into the +5V and Ground connections in the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.

Does anyone see an issue coming up from this? Gonna test it now.

I've attached photos of the setup.

EDIT2: Setup works! Jumpers can be found for very cheap at Microcenter or eBay/Amazon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: groove and Samir