Recommendation sought for home server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
I'm considering the Asus P9D-E/4L. More expandability for PCI devices. My only complaint is the propritary PIKE slot.

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
I'm considering the Asus P9D-E/4L. More expandability for PCI devices. My only complaint is the propritary PIKE slot.
I looked at this board and decided against it because it uses c224 chipset. I am looking into the c226 chipset based motherboards. I am open to using a ATX board if the choice is compelling.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I would/just did pick an ASRock E3C226D2l board myself. It's Mini ITX so it can fit in even smaller cases. It still features all you need. As for a case, I'd pick a Bitfenix Prodigy.

Oops forget it, it won't support 32gb of RAM. My bad.

Last edited:

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
I was looking into the case and I really like the Lian Li PC-V354 Lian-Li Global | PC-V354. With a micro ATX case it has a room for quite a few hard drives. I am thinking of getting the SuperMicro motherboard. I was wondering if any one has had experience with the same or similar Super Micro motherboard. I am especially interested in the IPMI features. I am wondering can one use any free IPMI s/w to control it or are there specific s/w that one has to purchase.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
SuperMicro gives you free IPMI software and it is very nice, but you can use anything since IPMI is pretty much an open standard and the commandline tools work well.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Look up IPMIview. Works well but as Chuckleb said - there are CLI tools. You can even use the management IP and a web interface. STH has lots on IPMIview and different vendor IPMI web management.

IPMIview works to find the web interface of other vendor IPMI's but manages SM servers the best.

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
I decided on the Super Micro X10SLH-F motherboard as I got a 15% discount on Newegg. I am now looking into getting memory for it. I am thinking of getting 8GB stick so that I can start of at 16GB and upgrade to 32GB if required.

1. Crucial CT102472BD160B which is guaranteed to be compatible at the crucial website.
2. Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 which based on a newegg review is compatible.
3. Memory supplied by Super Micro website which on average cost twice that of either Crucial/Kingston.

Any recommendation on the Crucial/Kingston memory.

bwillcox

Jan 20, 2013
Tejas
I will second the Kingston. That is all we use at work in the SM boxes there and its all I use in my personal server stuffs.

Just check your board model with their memory finder on the Kingston site and then search for that memory model on New egg, Superbiiz, Amazon, Wiredzone, etc.

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Crucial and Kingston are both solid options and its hard to go wrong with either. I've used both Kingston and Crucial ECC RAM.

Last edited:

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
A question on power supply for the Intel Haswell Xeon. I remember reading in the past that a lot of power supplies having issues with Haswell cpu. Is there any recommended power supply for Haswell Xeon. What would be a minimum recommended power supply that I should use. I will be having a optical blu-ray drive, 4 3.5" hdd and 2.5" ssd. I can always do away without the optical drive and add another hdd. I was thinking all of these would require something around 450-500W and to be on the safe side get something around 750W.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
While I don't have a Haswell Xeon, I can't comment on that part.

But your setup should use no more than 200w full load I would have thought. I'm a big fan of Corsair PSU's personally use the HX650 in my file server which has run 24 hard drives a RAID controller and 10GbE NIC with no issues.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
A question on power supply for the Intel Haswell Xeon. I remember reading in the past that a lot of power supplies having issues with Haswell cpu. Is there any recommended power supply for Haswell Xeon. What would be a minimum recommended power supply that I should use. I will be having a optical blu-ray drive, 4 3.5" hdd and 2.5" ssd. I can always do away without the optical drive and add another hdd. I was thinking all of these would require something around 450-500W and to be on the safe side get something around 750W.
The haswell PSU compatibility issue is only for certain very low power sleep modes, which you can turn off in the bios and also are likely to never be used or needed by a 24/7 server.

For a non gamer-GPU single socket server 750W is massive overkill, but this doesn't surprise me as most people waaaaaay over-spec their builds. (doesn't help that many no-name powersupplies are under-spec and/or garbage and even good ones only got efficient more recently)

Even 450W would support quite a few hard drives, the xeon+board+ram won't break 100W at full stream. (cpu is 84W heat with power quite close, a lot of the board vrms got moved to the chip and ram is like <2W/dimm)

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
The haswell PSU compatibility issue is only for certain very low power sleep modes, which you can turn off in the bios and also are likely to never be used or needed by a 24/7 server.

For a non gamer-GPU single socket server 750W is massive overkill, but this doesn't surprise me as most people waaaaaay over-spec their builds. (doesn't help that many no-name powersupplies are under-spec and/or garbage and even good ones only got efficient more recently)

Even 450W would support quite a few hard drives, the xeon+board+ram won't break 100W at full stream. (cpu is 84W heat with power quite close, a lot of the board vrms got moved to the chip and ram is like <2W/dimm)
If I can go with something like 450W power supply that would be perfect. The only reason I went higher was because on many of the lower wattage PSU I found that they had close to 4 sata power connectors. If I went to 6 sata power connectors most of the well rated PSU on newegg are of higher wattage.

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
For the power supply the motherboard requires a 24pin ATX connector and the CPU needs a 8pin connector. I suppose it doesnt matter that most power supplies provied 20+4pin ATX connector and 4+4pin CPU power connector. I just saw pretty good deal on newegg for a thermaltake power supply.

krosswindz

Dec 25, 2013
I have my server running for a sometime without any hiccups. I was wondering how important is PFC in the power supply for a server. The power supply I bought in a deal does not have PFC, I was suggested that I replace that with a power supply that does active PFC.